Cameleon Tongue

FixitFelix17

Hello All!
I'm new the forum but have a concern for my Veiled chameleon, as of yesterday he stopped using his tongue (maybe im being paranoid). He attempts to zap crickets but his tongue will only go out half an inch or so rather then full length. It also looks like he's having trouble standing up as he's becoming "Shaky" when he climbs or walks!

The chameleon is Veiled
Almost 1 year old (est 9 months) (from Petco)
Lives in a 10lx16wx30h Zoo med repti breeze chameleon kit
with a Zoo med Tropical UVB 5.0 v bulb
Has a diet of crickets, superworms, kayle , and sometimes fruits (protein are always gut loaded)
Stool: looks regular no strings or odd texture
Watering- Has an auto mister & gets sprayed 3-5 times a day
Temp and Humidly always 80-85 and humidly ranges from 65-80

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0691.PNG
    IMG_0691.PNG
    818.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Your enclosure is way to small, an adult veiled needs a 24x24x48. And your humidity is to high, no higher than 40% during the day.

please post some pictures of your chameleon.

Do you have a linear t5ho for uvb?
I would get live plants for your new enclosure, veiled chameleons will eat plants and fake ones are a impaction risk.

where do you live? You may be better off with a screen enclosure.

Bill

@Ashland Oregon, heavily noted ill swap the fakes with real plants, any recommendations? and no right now im using a dome heating lamp with a uvb, I will look into a linear setup aswell!

@Ashland Oregon, heavily noted ill swap the fakes with real plants, any recommendations? and no right now im using a dome heating lamp with a uvb, I will look into a linear setup aswell!
I would get the t5 for uvb ASAP as it’s essential for skeletal health. What are you currently using for supplements? And what’s your supplement schedule?

As far as plants go pothos is bulletproof and Looks awesome in my opinion. Here is a list of safe plant options...
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

Wait you said in the OP he is in a 10x16x30 reptibreeze. That's a screen cage and it's 16x16x30, and fine for a baby, but will need to upgraded.

The cage in the OP appears to be glass, than that isn't a reptibreeze.

Can you find out exactly what the cage you have is? How much are you misting?

Hello All!
I'm new the forum but have a concern for my Veiled chameleon, as of yesterday he stopped using his tongue (maybe im being paranoid). He attempts to zap crickets but his tongue will only go out half an inch or so rather then full length. It also looks like he's having trouble standing up as he's becoming "Shaky" when he climbs or walks!

The chameleon is Veiled
Almost 1 year old (est 9 months) (from Petco)
Lives in a 10lx16wx30h Zoo med repti breeze chameleon kit
with a Zoo med Tropical UVB 5.0 v bulb
Has a diet of crickets, superworms, kayle , and sometimes fruits (protein are always gut loaded)
Stool: looks regular no strings or odd texture
Watering- Has an auto mister & gets sprayed 3-5 times a day
Temp and Humidly always 80-85 and humidly ranges from 65-80
You said "reptibreeze chameleon kit", but it looks like glass? The ReptiBREEZE line is a screened cage, thus the "breeze". However, that's just semantics.

More to your current issue, tongue issues are tricky as they can really be so many thing - from the tongue or mouth, neurological issues, eye coordination, etc. It could be something as simple as a minor tongue injury or something like a Vitamin A deficiency, for example.

I'd say two things. First and foremost, no one can tell if your chams behavior is off better than you the keeper. If you suspect something, get him to a vet. (Especially when it effects their ability to eat) Secondly, I'd suggest filling out "the form". While you provide some details, there is a wealth of information that's been left out such as, how long YOU have had him, supplements, etc. It helps you the keeper and us the community by having to ask/answer less questions.

Overall, he looks a tad thin, but not near the worst we've seen. Best wishes to the both of you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom