Calumma Malthe Clutch

Sorry to hear that she wasn't able to pull through. Good luck incubating the eggs!

Chase

Thanks Chase.

This is amazing!! Never in a million years what we had thought was impossible to do is been achieved right now in this community best of luck with your them..(y)

Thanks for the positive state of mind and regards for the eggs.

I am so sorry about your beautiful Michelle, but I am so glad you were able to save the eggs. Good luck incubating them and keep notes. You have done something I don't think anyone in this community has achieved yet. Amazing work.

Thanks again Andee.

Congratulations Jeremy! Only 2 eggs, that's a lot of pressure. Good luck!

Thanks Bob!

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Jeremy what are your plans as far as incubation? Also my condolences as far as the loss of your female.:(

Thanks! I am not going to post my incubation temperatures that I am using at this time. However I am going to say that I am using a diapause for the incubation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thanks! I am not going to post my incubation temperatures that I am using at this time. However I am going to say that I am using a diapause for the incubation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Why not, Jeremy?

I'm sorry you lost your female. I adore my Mickey Malthe.

When I was dealing with egg binding on one female, my vet and I discussed how little time there was between death and salvaging the clutch of eggs. She told me if the female died on the way home from the clinic, I should pull over immediately and get the eggs--right at the side of the road. There is that little amount of time.

One of my newly imported wild caught graciliors laid a clutch a month after import and she had me terribly worried for awhile but she did recover. Import really takes a toll on them.

Why do you say a cricket ate a hole in the egg? It looks like a poorly calcified egg that might have had a hole in it because of lack of calcification.

Did your female dig a hole for her eggs?

One of my females laid a HUGE clutch for a quad, 29 eggs. They were very poorly calcified because there were just too darn many. I think every one had yellow ends like the picture of your egg. I was tempted to throw the eggs out but the vet said, why not just incubate them. Many were infertile and went bad. Some burst through the eggs during incubation because the egg was too weak to hold the growing embryo. Of the 29, about 10 or so molded over right away, several burst through before they were anywhere near ready to hatch but 14 hatched and I have 13 of them still.

Don't give up on them even if they are poorly calcified which they must be if they didn't show up on xray.

Why not, Jeremy?

I'm sorry you lost your female. I adore my Mickey Malthe.

When I was dealing with egg binding on one female, my vet and I discussed how little time there was between death and salvaging the clutch of eggs. She told me if the female died on the way home from the clinic, I should pull over immediately and get the eggs--right at the side of the road. There is that little amount of time.

One of my newly imported wild caught graciliors laid a clutch a month after import and she had me terribly worried for awhile but she did recover. Import really takes a toll on them.

Janet Thanks for the regards. I am not going to post any incubation material until after they hatch. Even then it is my data and I may choose not to post.

Why do you say a cricket ate a hole in the egg? It looks like a poorly calcified egg that might have had a hole in it because of lack of calcification.

Did your female dig a hole for her eggs?

One of my females laid a HUGE clutch for a quad, 29 eggs. They were very poorly calcified because there were just too darn many. I think every one had yellow ends like the picture of your egg. I was tempted to throw the eggs out but the vet said, why not just incubate them. Many were infertile and went bad. Some burst through the eggs during incubation because the egg was too weak to hold the growing embryo. Of the 29, about 10 or so molded over right away, several burst through before they were anywhere near ready to hatch but 14 hatched and I have 13 of them still.

Don't give up on them even if they are poorly calcified which they must be if they didn't show up on xray.

The photo was a photo of the egg not a photo of the hole in the egg. The cricket hole just happened to be on the opposite end of the egg on the photo.

I have seen poorly calcified eggs before and this clutch looks good. As I stated earlier I shall know for certain in about a month or two if they are good eggs or not.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have to look in my log book when. However this WC clutch of eggs produced from this WC female Calumma malthe did not survive. Off the top of my head they lasted about eight to nine months then molded over. I have to consult my log book later today to confirm that. I did use a diapause.

Best Regard
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I have to look in my log book when. However this WC clutch of eggs produced from this WC female Calumma malthe did not survive. Off the top of my head they lasted about eight to nine months then molded over. I have to consult my log book later today to confirm that. I did use a diapause.

Best Regard
Jeremy A. Rich

Did you cut open the eggs?

I had several malthe clutches taken from dead females that lasted over a year that looked perfect, grew and even sweated. They did not mold over. When I cut open the eggs after they had sweated and shrunk, there was zero development inside. I was surprised that eggs would not mold over after over a year, look fertile and sweat and have absolutely zero development. Another breeder told me he had seen this many times before. @bobcochran

It would be helpful to post your temps so others working with the species or closely related would have that data. It's not as if you are going to patent that information and make a lot of money on it. ;)

Janet

I normally open up my data (number information) and theories from my breeding and keeping experiences to people that I have formed breeding groups or team with. Even then I normally do not post that data on the Forums unless I am writing a profile or something of that nature. When I am collaborating in a breeding group/team I normally only post information via by email or pm for the most part.

My lone Calumma malthe clutch was from a gravid wild caught female. Her eggs did look good all the way up to the time they molded over. However I did open one egg and there was not much to no development. There was some separation in the yolk except no more development than that. I want a go a producing true CB Calumma malthe under conditions I am monitoring 100%.

I know Kent has dibs however if you do not want your baby Calumma malthe because she is ugly I have dibs after Kent.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I want some dibs!!

This is my experience:
When eggs are kept under proper conditions many infertile eggs will go full term. Especially if more than half the eggs are fertile in that clutch. It's not difficult to pick out the infertile eggs in a clutch of mostly fertile eggs after a given time, depending on the species. If all or almost all the eggs are infertile they usually mold up and shrivel early on.

Our heart goes out to you. Being egg bound is unfortunately all too common. We hope you stay with us and honor her with being a great parent to a new chameleon that needs a home someday soon.

Our heart goes out to you. Being egg bound is unfortunately all too common. We hope you stay with us and honor her with being a great parent to a new chameleon that needs a home someday soon.

Thanks much. However I am not done by any means with chameleons or for this matter this species Calumma malthe.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom