Calumma Malthe Clutch

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Today my female Calumma malthe Michelle laid a small clutch of eggs. This was somewhat unexpected as upon a vet visit and after x-rays I was reassured that she was not gravid. However I after palpitation of the stomach she definitely seemed gravid. Fortunately the female laid a clutch of 3/three eggs. The first egg crickets ate a hole in one of the eggs. However I have got what appears to be a healthy small clutch of two eggs.

This is a picture of my female Calumma malthe Michelle.
hMp2no.jpg

Calumma malthe clutch
7IUR4x.jpg

Calumma malthe egg that had a cricket eat a hole in the egg.
1yaHDI.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Congrats! Sucks about the one, how did the cricket get to the egg, did she bury them?

Thanks. No I am just fortunate that she laid her eggs. This would have sucked if she died egg bound and I possibly would not have saved the eggs.

That's great Jeremy!! This is a wonderful species and I hope you have success with these two eggs.

Thanks Joel! Calumma malthe are a great Calumma species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is amazing ^^ so little is known about Calumma Malthe care, since I've seen some more threads on them I am quickly growing very found of this species. I like most calumma species very much but these guys have a special place in my heart. I am so glad she is healthy and laid the eggs without any problem. Do you know if they are fertile for sure? Good luck and keep us updated ^^

Fantastic news! Can't wait to see some youngsters of this species Jeremy! Very precious.

Thanks! I look forward to the prospects of CH Calumma malthe as well.

This is amazing ^^ so little is known about Calumma Malthe care, since I've seen some more threads on them I am quickly growing very found of this species. I like most calumma species very much but these guys have a special place in my heart. I am so glad she is healthy and laid the eggs without any problem. Do you know if they are fertile for sure? Good luck and keep us updated ^^

Actually Michelle has had difficulty laying eggs. I have not got high exceptions for her to make it through the night. Calumma species have extremely soft skin (not just Calumma parsonii parsonii) and she had problems shedding in the greenhouse while laying eggs. I think dealing with both may have taken to much of a toll on her. I shall know soon if she can recover as chameleons are capable of recuperating after serious illness. This kind of recuperating although rare has happened before.

The eggs look as though they are good eggs. The next couple months shall show whether they are good fertile eggs or not.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Hope she pulls through! Sending positive thoughts across the continent ;). Do you think all the eggs are out?

Hate to say it however my Calumma malthe female just passed away. I have to go to the Vets tomorrow. I left her alone to give her a shot a recovering. However after she passed I palpitated her stomach and she has 4 more eggs that have to be cut out to be saved. So much for the eggs not being seen on the x-rays.

I am going to give her body to the UC Davis Veterinary department. Her body can be a specimen that can go towards veterinary education.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I'm so sorry :(. Hope you have success with the eggs. I'm bummed :(.

Decadancin

Thanks for the heads up! Good thing I checked I was not thinking more eggs. I was more concerned if Michelle would make it through the night.

I got word to save the eggs you have to cut the eggs out immediately. They could not wait untill morning.

I just did a vivisection. I may have cut out and saved the last 4 eggs. I shall give them a month or two to say for certain.

I am not bummed at all! Six eggs is about normal clutch size for this species.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I am so sorry about your beautiful Michelle, but I am so glad you were able to save the eggs. Good luck incubating them and keep notes. You have done something I don't think anyone in this community has achieved yet. Amazing work.

Back
Top Bottom