Calumma crypticum

Its a fairly new species from the Calumma brevicorne species group that had previously been considered one of the forms of C. brevicorne. They are a very wide spread species, probably more wide spread then C. brevicorne. They live along the eastern, northern and central regions of Madagascar. Here is a photo of one that I photographed a number of years ago before they had been classified as their own species:

bb12m.jpg

Chris

I was collecting them (to be quite exact local peoples were showing me them and than I was catching them} around Vohiparara in Ranomafana region.
They were living on trees immediately in and around village.

The male pictured in Necas book was the first chameleon that I ever saw on Madagascar.

The big problem was when I exported it and added to his "harem" few females from Malagassy export facility they were copulating but eggs not developing.
Remember, at that time it was not described, everything was brevicornis.

That male lived by me more than 2 years. When I found it it was magnificient animal, in fact largest that I saw so quite long living for chameleon. Btw, he was quite happy in glass terrarium although it has good ventilation nearly whole top and bottom half on back.

At that time were many more attractive species available (to name a few balteatus, bifidus, oshaugnessyi (what is after my opinion more attractive species than parsoni itself, incredible elegant and just a little smaller), antimena, labordi, minor, petteri, willsii, nasuta, gastrotaeniata) so I never kept more than one "breeding group!" that should be better called egg laying group. High probably it was group crypticum male and brevicornis females.

It is living in nature on shrubs and trees in somewhat can be called garden, so it is o exclusively forest animal. Around Vohiparara is (was) just primary forest but there is very attractive river near so some "free" places existed for sure in past.

Back
Top Bottom