Calumma brevicornis hatch?

This morning I noticed three baby chams inside one of the egg boxes--I pulled the box out, and saw that it was one of our Calumma brevicornis clutches. It was exciting, but the more I look at them, I wonder if I've somehow misidentified the eggs (not sure how that could happen).

The reason for my skepticism:

1.) The babies hatched in just three months (for a Calumma species?)
2.) They seem to resemble baby Sailfins

However, I did check the other three clutches we have from brevicornis and the eggs look identical in size and shape to these. They are not montium.

I'd appreciate any observations. Picture below.

IMG_6590.jpg

Hey Sam-

I'm not sure which species it is, but either way congratulations!

I do have a hard time seeing it be the brevicorne though, only because I've talked to people who have eggs now that have been incubating longer than that, as well as people I've talked to had longer incubation times than that

Chase

If there was a common cage or laying bin between the two species you may want to take a second look. A cristatus female could have slipped a clutch by you and then when the brevicornis female laid, you could have found the cristatus eggs and left the others. Might also explain the shortened cristatus hatch time. However it happened, we need some cristatus out there. Congrats!

That isn’t a cristatus baby but probably a Trioceros weidersheimi or Trioceros serratus. It has those telltale enlarged tubercules on the flanks.

That isn’t a cristatus baby but probably a Trioceros weidersheimi or Trioceros serratus. It has those telltale enlarged tubercules on the flanks.

Good eye! Guess I was intoxicated with wishful thinking. My girls are in dire need of a male ASAP. Thanks for pointing those out.

Those babies do not look as though they are Calumma brevicorne. If that baby was Calumma brevicorne I would expect that the baby would have more earth tone coloration's than the green it already has and as Trace pointed out has scales and coloration are more similar towards West African Trioceros not Calumma brevicorne. I think that those babies may be some baby Trioceros from your Trioceros collection that you have and may be the most accurate guess at this time. Raise them then we are going to have a good look at what species they are.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
That's a peacock baby. Probably Trioceros perreti. Don't think you had T. serratus, and you definitely never had (true) T. wiedersheimi.

Chris

That's a peacock baby. Probably Trioceros perreti. Don't think you had T. serratus, and you definitely never had (true) T. wiedersheimi.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yep, I sure did have Peacocks, so that explains it. One other factor that I neglected to mention in my initial post that made me question everything is that the clutch was only seven eggs--which would be incredibly small for even a gravid import brev.

I guess I have a clutch of brev eggs somewhere in my large laying bin. Hunting time I suppose.

Thanks to everyone who responded,

Sam

Back
Top Bottom