Calling on Fellow Tegu Keepers!

MsCham

I recently acquired a Columbian ('gold') Tegu. I was looking to nerd out in excitement with anyone else that admires these brilliant intelligent creatures inside their home! She is 4 months right now, so is still pretty tiny, but Im beginning my planning stages for her large custom built enclosure. Has anyone else built their own? Id love to see photos! I'm planning on making both an indoor enclosure, and an outdoor one for next summer when the temperatures are suitable!

I had heard about the dire need for dedication with this specific type of Tegu, and was expecting vicious bites until at least a few months later... and was prepared to work with that, but so far she has been just fine! Of course she is a bit skittish, but we have been working on trust with long hours spent in front of the enclosure (closed) just talking to her and gaining her trust. We had her first bath last week and it went really well! She relaxed so much in the water and got a lot of good exercise swimming around! I definitely think this is where a lot of training will happen!

I'm still new to them, but I'm in a lot of Facebook groups to drill other keepers for info, but if you happen to keep them and have some tips and tricks, I'm always open ears! Or just *squee* with me at the most intelligent reptile ever!! :D

IMG_20151003_180813_zpsbuupm0c7.jpg

IMG_20151004_204809_zpslzwxzfiz.jpg

Aw best of luck! I just love tegus - tiny Komodo dragons! She's very pretty. I hope you are able to bond and she keeps that mellow personality :)

Back
Top Bottom