Calling all Turtle Keepers! :D

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well, I am curious to find out who owns turtles! Tortoises too! I currently have none until Tuesday of next week! But who else keeps them!? Pics are VERY welcome too!
Zac

I have 2 red eared sliders and a Cherryhead Tortoise-you can see Ted in this thread...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/multi-tortoise-panthers-56126/

If you are going to get something-go tortoise-much easier to keep clean then water turtles!

I used to have up to 7 sliders at once, 2 western painteds, and 2 Snapping Turtles and a Pearl River Map Turtle. I get my Black Knob on Tuesday! :) I hate tank cleaning day though! D: I plan to get a Red Footed Tortoise sometime this summer.

I have always wanted a tortoise. But haven't found a smaller species that is in my price range

Cherry heads are smaller from the limited research correct? And from what I have read they get about 10-12 inches right? They grow pretty slow right?

LPR08

I have one that is getting closer to 2 years old, and it is about 5" long-so grow slowly is a big yes. I do think they can get a little bigger than 12", but not much. When Ted gets bigger, he will move outside here in the summer.

I have one that is getting closer to 2 years old, and it is about 5" long-so grow slowly is a big yes. I do think they can get a little bigger than 12", but not much. When Ted gets bigger, he will move outside here in the summer.

OR Ted can just come live with me ;)

We have a little Russian Tortoise named Speedy.
PB080405-1.jpg

Yay a torti thread! :)
I have two 10 year old female sulcattas named Scarlett (73lbs) and Rhett (57lbs):
full

full

They push the back door open and just walk into the house when they're hungry:
full

2 gopher tortoises named Columbus and Pancakes:
full

full

And I know these aren't tortoises, but they're close! 2 baby ornate box turtles named Calvin and Hobbes:
full

full

And 3 three-toed box turtles named Petey, Raisin and Bebop:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two species of Aussy turtles (aquatic) but we dont have native tortoises and we're not allowed them :(
Ive been fascinated with the concept of a land dwelling Tortoise since I was a child,
can't tell how much I'd love one or two, any species. I envy those who have such opportunity. :)

Yay a torti thread! :)
I have two 10 year old female sulcattas named Scarlett (73lbs) and Rhett (57lbs):
full

full

They push the back door open and just walk into the house when they're hungry:
full

2 gopher tortoises named Columbus and Pancakes:
full

full

And I know these aren't tortoises, but they're close! 2 baby ornate box turtles named Calvin and Hobbes:
full

full

And 3 three-toed box turtles named Petey, Raisin and Bebop:
full

You can post any turtles too! :3

I have two species of Aussy turtles (aquatic) but we dont have native tortoises and we're not allowed them :(
Ive been fascinated with the concept of a land dwelling Tortoise since I was a child,
can't tell how much I'd love one or two, any species. I envy those who have such opportunity. :)

I would hate that! I really want a tort now! :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Do box turtles require a pond or anything?

LPR08

Chinese box turtles need more of a pond area, but most species are strictly terrestrial. They need water around to crawl in and drink from but it should not be more than a few inches deep at most. A big terra cotta saucer like you put under potted plants is sufficient. You can usually find three-toed box turtles the easiest, then ornates and sometimes easterns. Their numbers are dwindling in the wild so do not keep one you find out in nature if you live within their native range. Care is generally the same across the board and they can be quite friendly. Mine all have unique little personalities!

Chinese box turtles need more of a pond area, but most species are strictly terrestrial. They need water around to crawl in and drink from but it should not be more than a few inches deep at most. A big terra cotta saucer like you put under potted plants is sufficient. You can usually find three-toed box turtles the easiest, then ornates and sometimes easterns. Their numbers are dwindling in the wild so do not keep one you find out in nature if you live within their native range. Care is generally the same across the board and they can be quite friendly. Mine all have unique little personalities!

What kind of enclosure do you keep them in?

LPR08

Back
Top Bottom