Calling All Snake PEOPLE!

PrettyInInk87

My Ball Python Damien escaped last night:eek:. I have had him for a few months now and not once has he gotten out, until last night. I looked under the fridge, under the stove, couches and behind stuff and found nothing. Any suggestions as to where to look? I know he'll be out and about tonight so am going to wait until tonight to further look. Are there any ways he can get up into the stove or fridge, inside?:(

Edit: I have this little song going in my head right now. Oh where oh where can my Ball Python be, oh where oh where can he BE?! Lol!

We lost our corn snake once, and we thought he was long gone because his tank was right next to the back door, which is open for the dogs all the time. But two days later one of the dogs was sniffing under the oven pretty intensely and there was his little head, poking out from inside the over inner-parts. He was reall thin, but they can definitely get into things. I would just hang out tonight sitting on a table with a red light and see if he comes out. It's going to be a long night but you're much more likely to see him during the night, and the sooner the better.

Did he eat recently? I wonder if maybe you can have a couple mice in little critter keepers or something in key areas maybe it'll lure him out?

Good luck!

Snakes are the ultimate escape artists. If there is a way out, they'll find it. I did the snake thing for years, and had many escapees. They would show up in the most surprising places. Long story, but I had one show up INSIDE my kitchen sink drain. Anyway, how close is it to feeding time? I found a very effective way to lure them out, is to use some used woodchip bedding from a rodent cage placed under a towel with a cardboard box proped over it. The rodent scent will entice them to curl under the towel and wait in ambush for the rat. You have to keep a watch on it maybe 2-3 times a day, and they'll almost always show up there. If you ask a local pet store, they will probably be more than willing to give you a plastic sack full of woodchips. Good luck.

We lost our corn snake once, and we thought he was long gone because his tank was right next to the back door, which is open for the dogs all the time. But two days later one of the dogs was sniffing under the oven pretty intensely and there was his little head, poking out from inside the over inner-parts. He was reall thin, but they can definitely get into things. I would just hang out tonight sitting on a table with a red light and see if he comes out. It's going to be a long night but you're much more likely to see him during the night, and the sooner the better.

Did he eat recently? I wonder if maybe you can have a couple mice in little critter keepers or something in key areas maybe it'll lure him out?

Good luck!

The little stinker has been on a hunger strike and hasn't eaten in 2 months. I think he has gotten tired of mice but I will try that. I KNOW he has to be in the stove or fridge, we have nothing else that stays warm all night and day. Thank you!:)

Snakes are the ultimate escape artists. If there is a way out, they'll find it. I did the snake thing for years, and had many escapees. They would show up in the most surprising places. Long story, but I had one show up INSIDE my kitchen sink drain. Anyway, how close is it to feeding time? I found a very effective way to lure them out, is to use some used woodchip bedding from a rodent cage placed under a towel with a cardboard box proped over it. The rodent scent will entice them to curl under the towel and wait in ambush for the rat. You have to keep a watch on it maybe 2-3 times a day, and they'll almost always show up there. If you ask a local pet store, they will probably be more than willing to give you a plastic sack full of woodchips. Good luck.

OOh! Great idea! I have 2 Guinea Pigs, that reminds me! I better check the bedroom under my sons crib. The piggies are right next to his bed!:eek:

Don't even bother looking until it is dark. You can line the walls with plastic bags that make noise. Around 9-10pm turn out all the lights and sit and listen. It will come out eventually and if moves along the walls you will hear the bags make noise.

You can also leave a line of flour on the floor at the entry to each room. You should see a trail over it.

I have lost a few over the last couple of years and they always come out when I am not looking.

I have only had one snake escape on me (my brother left the cage open after holding it),got lucky had 3 snakes in that cage (I seperated them for feeding). I ended up finding him in the closet about 5 ft from my room needless to say that has the last time my brother was allowed in my room.

Ball Pythons like tight small places, you didn't say how big it is but you may want to check in closets, in shoes(and boots),and undrer (and in) the bed. If its been a while since the last feeding putting a mouse in a critter keeper and letting it sit might get it to leave its hiding space.

PUT THE PIGS AWAY!!!!! Live piggies are a tempting treat and they may end his hunger strike, especially since you have two sizes available!

Don't even bother looking until it is dark. You can line the walls with plastic bags that make noise. Around 9-10pm turn out all the lights and sit and listen. It will come out eventually and if moves along the walls you will hear the bags make noise.

You can also leave a line of flour on the floor at the entry to each room. You should see a trail over it.

I have lost a few over the last couple of years and they always come out when I am not looking.

I'm going to do the bag thing since we have carpet, lol! Thank you!

I have only had one snake escape on me (my brother left the cage open after holding it),got lucky had 3 snakes in that cage (I seperated them for feeding). I ended up finding him in the closet about 5 ft from my room needless to say that has the last time my brother was allowed in my room.

Ball Pythons like tight small places, you didn't say how big it is but you may want to check in closets, in shoes(and boots),and undrer (and in) the bed. If its been a while since the last feeding putting a mouse in a critter keeper and letting it sit might get it to leave its hiding space.

He is about 3 and a half feet, a little guy. I am going to try lots of different ideas tonight, I don't want him slithering somewhere out of the apartment!

PUT THE PIGS AWAY!!!!! Live piggies are a tempting treat and they may end his hunger strike, especially since you have two sizes available!

Where should I put them? On the bed? I know Ball Pythons are good climbers so i'd be really afraid of him getting to them wherever I put them. I'll make sure and stay in the same room as them.

Your BP may climb to investigate the piggies but he wont hurt them, they are def too big.

The bags like Ryan said is a good trick. Just because he has been on a hunger strike doesnt mean a scent trap will not work. I have had retics that i had to feed in the middle of my living room because they wouldnt eat in their enclosures.

Baby powder can get vacuumed out of carpet, when i used to keep snakes in my room instead of my garage and had one get out i used to bag the walls and a thing (1/4") line of baby powder at the entrances to every room and i would leave all the doors open. That way you can always see if they go in or out of a room and can "corner" them.

Also do not always thing that they will go for a warm area. Ive had snakes lay in a spare exhaust system for my car that i have. The metal/surrounding areas couldnt have been 60* but thats where she went. Snakes will chose small secure areas over warm ones, its why they tell you to always have a hide on the hot and cold sides of your enclosures

I've had various BP's at different times in my life, and honest story, we lost one snake, a year later some guys were working on the sewer by the front of our house and came to the door with a ball python. Was it ours? Maybe, maybe not, this is Michigan, don't know if one would survive our winter, but we had a pet snake again. Another time I lost one and looked everywhere, found a few months later and it had passed from dehydration. This was over ten yrs ago, and I wish I would've known about the bag and powder tricks. Good luck, lure him in with the food.

Don't you have a young pig? Young pigs can fit in snake mouths!

Even better! Doors!

He's younger than my big guy but not a baby. It could be that Eddie is just FAT. Lol! He's a good size though and don't think he'd fit into Damiens tummy but snakes are weird little dudes and will sure try and eat something that is much larger than they are.

I know! They have those crazy pictures of snakes that were found dead because they ate something too big or videos of the snakes throwing up dinner to escape and dinner is massive!

You should see an egg eating snake eat a chicken egg. It looks like the snakes head will explode!

During the summer I had 10 snakes get out of a large enclosure. Stupid me, I forgot to close it all the way. Anyways, one by one over the course of 3 weeks, I found them on top of my mouse breeding racks trying to get in them.
I know your snake is on a hunger strike, but if you can set up a small cage with a live mouse/rat, he may be enticed to come to eat. If you do this, make sure the rodent has plenty to eat and drink.

ive had lots escape. i always used to put a heating pad under a blanket in the middle of my living room floor and they would always be there in the morning but i live in a small house with not alot of places to hide. hope you find him

During the summer I had 10 snakes get out of a large enclosure. Stupid me, I forgot to close it all the way. Anyways, one by one over the course of 3 weeks, I found them on top of my mouse breeding racks trying to get in them.
I know your snake is on a hunger strike, but if you can set up a small cage with a live mouse/rat, he may be enticed to come to eat. If you do this, make sure the rodent has plenty to eat and drink.

Sorry but I cannot find it in my heart to buy a live mouse and use it as food. :( I am 100% percent sure I will get attached and end up keeping him as a pet. Lol! Man, but I had no luck last night...

ive had lots escape. i always used to put a heating pad under a blanket in the middle of my living room floor and they would always be there in the morning but i live in a small house with not alot of places to hide. hope you find him

I do have an extra heat pad that isn't stuck onto anything I think i'll try that tonight. We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment, I am convinced he is somewhere in the living room or my brother-in-laws bedroom. We keep our door closed all day and night BUT I guess he could squeeze through the bottom of the door. :rolleyes: Oh well, I guess eventually i'll find him. :( Thank you everyone!:)

You could try putting small guinea pig in a critter keeper? Maybe it would attract the snake? Or you can craigslist two little mousies and keep them as pets after. They don't need that much space. They need a friend though, hence why I said two. :)

Back
Top Bottom