Calling all Reptile Experts!

FlChamMom

Avid Member
I am in Bermuda this week and at night there is a "chirping" noise that is unlike anything I have ever heard. I was told that it is a small lizard lives in the trees here. Has anyone heard of the Chirping Lizards of Bermuda? I can't find them during the day- apparently they are very small. Is this the Snipe Hunt of the islands?

Sure it's not a coqui frog? They are all over Puerto Rico and make a very loud chirping sound - wouldn't surprise me if they were in Bermuda too.

Coqui do have a very distinct sound. I didn't find anything with a quick search except some references to tree frogs. I would be surprised if there were a chirping lizard... Might be a snipe hunt :D

I thought that too, but I don't know that there are any geckos on Bermuda. Skinks and anoles, yes... The only solution is to send FlChamMom on a quest! Don't return without proof! :D

Edit: Apparently there are geckos, so maybe that's it? Go investigate for us!

My guess was some sort of house type gecko- looks like I'm not too far off maybe:

http://www.conservation.bm/geckos/

Bermuda is trying to get rid of them.

Hemydactylus is one of the geckos commonly known as a house gecko. I haven't heard it's vocalization, but probably a chirping sound would not be far off.

Believe it or not, they are also found in Virginia- they are found inside here where they escape the winter indoors in large buildings in downtown Lynchburg and Richmond. My son's high school biology teacher studied them and wrote a paper on them that was published. I don't think they will be getting rid of them in bermuda any time soon. Adaptable little lizards.

Then again- if they can be heard from a ways off maybe a frog seems more likely. Locals all around the world believe things that aren't so about herps...

Started my quest where all epic quests start... a bar. Asked about the chirping lizards. Bartender described an anole- can't imagine that is the sound, living in Florida I know an anole when I hear one. I am thinking frog, but it is a crazy sound, almost musical- I would like to think it's a tree lizard chorus...

Last edited:
Probably local lore to entertain the guests. the difference between a gecko and a frog chirp is usually pretty distinct. which ever you convince yourself that it is, is most likely the correct answer. common sense will prove to be your answer here. enjoy your vacation.

Back
Top Bottom