Calcium

Paul30

Why dust calcium without d3? I thought you were supposed to dust crickets, supers etc with d3.........

Some threads on here I have browsed say calcium without d3..... I am now confused as I have always dusted with d3 for all my herps

How much D3 really depends on how much sun light they get but you should be safe with.
Calcium without D3 every day.
Calcium with D3 once every other week
Multivitamin once every other week they don't get D3

For non montane chameleons: Ca every feeding. Ca w/ D3 every two weeks. Multivitamins every two weeks. Proper gutloading of feeders: every day.

Worst case scenario is renal failure. Other factors can come into play also. Important thing is you caught it and you asked about it. I don't think there will be absolute answers for every question for chameleons in our lifetime. Always learning from these little buggers.

Yea I see that.... I have had beardies and now ventured to the tropical side.... Kinda had a opportunity I couldn't refuse..... So unfortunately learning as I go.... Not the way I like to do it but rather ask the stupid questions than not know....

So I'll find a calcium without d3 if I can.

I quickly found out with chameleons, there are no stupid questions. I used to work for wholesalers and managed several pet stores. I always avoided chameleons. The reason why was, everyone I saw looked like it was about six minutes away from death. No one would ask questions on how to properly care for them or assumed they were cared for like every other reptile: hot and dry. :mad:

What happens if you dust with calcium with d3 every other feeding like I have been?

It depends on how much D3 your supplement has in it. These "schedules" are meaningless without addressing that.

BTW, mine get low dose dietary D3 every day. And they are montane species. No edema around these parts either. ;)

That's what I thought also.... Isn't d3 what they need especially if you can't get them to natural uva/Uvb rays......

I dust crickets once or twice a week with d3 and other days she gets 2 horn or 2 silkworms....

"If D3 is consistently given dietarily, the pituitary will not be able to regulate calcitriol (active D3) that quickly and spikes of hypercalcemia will most probably occur. Over time, hypervitaminosis D and hypercalcemia will cause clinical signs of soft tissue calcification, depression, anorexia, excessive drinking, urination, and weight loss."

I'm just going to drop this link here, it's a good read..

http://www.chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html

Paul30 asked...Why dust calcium without D3? Dusting with phosphorous - free calcium powder at most feedings helps balance the poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects.

Dusting twice a month with a phosphorous - free calcium D3 powder will ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB. D3 is needed so that the calcium in the system can be used but too much D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues while D3 from UVB exposure will not build up as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB when it wants to.

It's also important to watch the vitamin A you provide for the chameleon. Vitamin A from prEformed sources can build up in the system. Also, D3and vitamin A are somewhat antagonistic to each other and need to be in balance.

Yes, a good read, especially the part about what works for one keeper might be death for another keepers animals. Also we generally address supplementation as generic for all species even though each species has differing requirements. I'm glad that article addresses metabolism and its role in processing dietary supplements.

Paul30 asked...Why dust calcium without D3? Dusting with phosphorous - free calcium powder at most feedings helps balance the poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects.

Dusting twice a month with a phosphorous - free calcium D3 powder will ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB. D3 is needed so that the calcium in the system can be used but too much D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues while D3 from UVB exposure will not build up as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB when it wants to.

It's also important to watch the vitamin A you provide for the chameleon. Vitamin A from prEformed sources can build up in the system. Also, D3and vitamin A are somewhat antagonistic to each other and need to be in balance.
Thank you... That makes sense.
"If D3 is consistently given dietarily, the pituitary will not be able to regulate calcitriol (active D3) that quickly and spikes of hypercalcemia will most probably occur. Over time, hypervitaminosis D and hypercalcemia will cause clinical signs of soft tissue calcification, depression, anorexia, excessive drinking, urination, and weight loss."

I'll definitely give that a read.

Sorry I usually respond faster but my notifications arnt coming to me... I use tapatalk. And with this forum I'm not getting my notifications like I do my others.

Hi where I go to buy my crickets, anarchy reptiles in Miami Florida, I was told that they need the d3 if they are housed inside. I just want to make sure he's right. Baby veiled chameleon.

Hi where I go to buy my crickets, anarchy reptiles in Miami Florida, I was told that they need the d3 if they are housed inside. I just want to make sure he's right. Baby veiled chameleon.

Yes, they have to have D3, otherwise they can't absorb dietary calcium. Even the best UVB bulbs won't provide but a fraction of what natural sunlight does.

Back
Top Bottom