Calcium w/ D3 vs w/o

NDO

After browsing the forums, I figured I'd stray away from using calcium with d3 every day and switch to calcium without d3.

When I went to purchase it at the reptile store the person was really hesitant to tell me where the calcium without d3 was; I told her that I had a chameleon and I had read elsewhere that you should only be giving d3 to it every 2 weeks. She talked to the manager who breeds all the chameleons and he said that unless the chameleon is exposed to constant sunlight, you should be giving calcium with d3. She told me I could buy it and feed it if I wanted, though they heavily opposed it.

Is this true or...? I'm really confused :>

What the? Calcium w/D3 ONLY should not be used if your cham for instance was in an enclosure outside in the sun for the hours until night falls. However, if your cham's enclosure is inside you NEED calcium w/d3 twice a month.

Panthers can survive a lot of bad treatment and reproduce relatively easily. There are much better breeders on this forum I can guarantee that dont use d3 daily

What the? Calcium w/D3 ONLY should not be used if your cham for instance was in an enclosure outside in the sun for the hours until night falls. However, if your cham's enclosure is inside you NEED calcium w/d3 twice a month.
They said to give it every feeding, not to not give it at all.

Oka
Panthers can survive a lot of bad treatment and reproduce relatively easily. There are much better breeders on this forum I can guarantee that dont use d3 daily
Okay, thanks for notifying me!

Out of curiosity what does too much d3 do?

Giving too much D3 can actually cause Calcium poisoning, essentially any overdose. I usually give my guys D3 with their food dustings every other Saturday. Regular without D3 at every feeding.

To all of this advice on the timing of using calcium WITH D3...is it the same for a young juvi vs. an adult? Should a 2-3 month old receive more of the calcium with D3?

To all of this advice on the timing of using calcium WITH D3...is it the same for a young juvi vs. an adult? Should a 2-3 month old receive more of the calcium with D3?
Actually they shouldn't they should receive the same amount any other would, giving too much could be toxic for them aka over supplementing. Just a tiiiiny pinch

I'm still getting everything shipped to me for my setup and enclosure. I want to make sure the setup is perfect before I order my little guy. :) I'm as anxious as anyone would be, but it might be another week or two for me, haha. I want to do it the right way!

I'm still getting everything shipped to me for my setup and enclosure. I want to make sure the setup is perfect before I order my little guy. :) I'm as anxious as anyone would be, but it might be another week or two for me, haha. I want to do it the right way!

Bless your heart for researching, asking questions, and preparing in advance!! If everyone put in that much legwork before ordering their cham, there would be many fewer frantic new owner posts. Your chameleon will thank you for your diligence :D

Bless your heart for researching, asking questions, and preparing in advance!! If everyone put in that much legwork before ordering their cham, there would be many fewer frantic new owner posts. Your chameleon will thank you for your diligence :D

Hahaha, I can only hope so!! I think a large part of what sold me on getting a cham is my attention to detail. I'm a pretty big science nerd too, so the "advanced care" label they get didn't really scare me even though this will be my first reptile.

What brand of calcium with D3 do you have?
I ask because there is one brand some people use daily.

I ordered the following 3 dusters, all Zoo Med brand: Repti Calcium with D3, Repti Calcium without D3, and the Reptive without D3.

What do we think, yay, nay?

@amfire The first two are fine I don't know of any brands of calcium with or without D3 being better or worse. They are so basic. I don't use Reptivite so I'm not sure if it has the right kind of Vitamin A sources. Others may be more familiar with it.

@amfire The first two are fine I don't know of any brands of calcium with or without D3 being better or worse. They are so basic. I don't use Reptivite so I'm not sure if it has the right kind of Vitamin A sources. Others may be more familiar with it.
Which vitamins would you recommend? And are they different depending on species; I've heard jacksons are more susceptible to vitamin A poisoning or something...

Jackson's have a slower metabolism and need less supplementation than panthers or veiled. They need almost half of what the others do.

From the Jackson's care sheet: Feeder insects should be lightly dusted with powdered supplement before being fed to your chameleon. As a montane species (native to higher altitudes) Jackson's have decreased supplementation requirements compared to tropical species due to metabolism differences. Use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) twice a week, a multivitamin once a month, and calcium with D3 once a month.
There is nothing wrong with this schedule. It's worked for many people.

I used to use an all in one 3 times a week very lightly. I now use it diluted with calcium and bee pollen very lightly 3 times a week. The all in one I use for my Jackson's is Repashy Calcium Plus Lo D. I have recently heard of people having problems in panthers that get this and Repashy gut load their feeders. I have had no problems but I make my own gut load and I don't ghost my feeders.

Back
Top Bottom