Calcium and lighting: it's a balancing act. - Just some thoughts, and I welcome yours.

Redman

Avid Member
I see questions constantly, usually from new keepers, about how much calcium they should be dusting feeders with, how often, and the like.

What I almost never see, is someone explaining how correct lighting ties into the calcium intake level. (There are a few who are always trying to do this, and I applaud you!)

Now I know there are many great people who give of their time and patience to try to point the questioner to the already existing documents about this, and there is the often given litany of: You MUST have a linear t5 ho fixture with an X% UVB bulb and you MUST dust every feeder with calcium without D3, and then you MUST use Calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks and Multivitamin powder once ever month, or a variation of same.

What I have seen only a few address is the fact that this aspect of our husbandry is all a balancing act.

Q: Why do Chameleons need Calcium dusting on their feeders?
A: Calcium is vital to all reptiles for the maintenance of basic life functions. It plays a role in metabolism, muscle function, and bone growth. Lack of calcium can lead to a decline in health, disease, lethargy, and death in extreme cases.

Reptiles utilize vitamin D3 to synthesize Calcium internally. This ability is only possible with exposure to the correct type and intensity of light.
<EDIT: To be clear, I meant that they need the D3 to correctly utilize the Calcium from their diet. Thanks for the clarification Jacksjill and nightanole>

Q: If Chameleons can make their own Calcium, why is it so important to dust feeders with Calcium?
A: Because very few Chameleons in captivity are given the same lighting and dietary conditions that they receive in their natural habitat. The goal is to try to supplement so that they have all that they need, and not significantly more, or less, than is healthy. Yes, we are trying to balance the D3 too.

Q: If Vitamin D3 is essential for Chameleons to make their own Calcium, why wouldn't you give it to them with every feeder, at every feeding?
A: It is unhealthy and potentially dangerous to overdose your Chameleon on D3. There is definitely a "Too much of a good thing" scenario possible. In fact, any vitamin, mineral, food, or even water can be given in too large a quantity and cause health issues. Even more balancing.

Q: There are lots of available UVB bulbs out there. So why should I use the more expensive linear T5 HO fixtures and bulbs over the others?
A: The truth? You don't HAVE to, but you probably should. It really all depends on your enclosure setup. Does your enclosure sit in an outside area or lanai? Does it sit inside a window? How much UV does that glass filter out? How heavily planted is your enclosure? How tall is it? How far from the non-natural light source is your Chams basking spot? It's all about finding the proverbial "Sweet Spot" where the chameleon gets enough UVB to process the calcium and vitamin D3 they receive from their diet without getting burned or cooked. Without a solarmeter to measure the actual light in your own personal setup in various locations, it's impossible to say what you HAVE to have to get the job done. The reason people feel confident suggesting the linear T5 HO fixtures and bulbs, and rightly so, is that they are much, much better at ensuring that you are safe in delivering sufficient levels of UVB to your enclosure. Now if you have a chameleon that sits on the bottom of the enclosure and won't climb, you have other problems and that fancy, expensive T5HO isn't going to do you a bit of good. So, is it the right answer for every situation? Of course not. Nothing is, or could be.

Over the many years that chameleons have been artificially kept, there have been keepers and breeders who have been successful using various methods of lighting, feeding, and supplementation that would probably get bashed mercilessly if they were to describe their setup to the current internet experts, many of which don't understand the concepts but just parrot what they read somewhere else or had someone tell them. I personally don't chastise either group, because it was the trial and error keepers who helped discover what works and what doesn't to share with the community and help us learn. And I can't fault the latest and greatest crowd, because the new lights and supplements DO make it much easier to do the right thing for our Chams. I wouldn't have it any other way!

What is needed, in my opinion, is an understanding of the why and how of Chameleon digestion (Haven't even gotten into the role of required heat for proper digestion) and calcium production/utilization and how to adapt your personal setup to ensure that this is given the proper parameters.

Anyway, sorry for the filibuster. Just had my mind going while sitting here NOT doing what I wanted due to Coronavirus Social Distancing protocols. <sigh>

Last edited:
This is kinda poorly worded....

Then again i have read articles where they say reptiles make calcium from D3, or that reptiles "activate" vitamin D and turn it into D3 using sun light.

TL:DR

reptiles dont make calcuim
reptiles need a calcium to phosphorous ratio of 2:1 "insects" have horrible ratios, so we supplement calcium.
Reptiles need D3, from any source, to metabolize(also poorly worded) calcium.
D3 can come from 100% supliments, or 100% UVB, or a combo of both

If you have a short cage you can use a weak UVB bulb
If you have a tall cage you need the high power T5 HO

The "power" of the bulb dictates how far away the reptile can be and still get UVB.

A low power might only be good for 6" away, perfect for a 12" tall "tank", useless for a 4ft tall screen cage
A high power might be good all the way out to 2 feet away, perfect for a 4ft tall screen cage, not so good for a 12" tall "tank"

Yes, I wasn't going to get into the whole "calcefidiol / calcitriol" cycle thing. I was really trying to get into the head of new keepers and imagine how they thought.

Sorry for any confusion.

Calcium, phosphorous, D3 and vitamin A need to be in balance for good bone health, muscles and lots of other reasons.

D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues such as MBD so we need to be careful. Dusting lightly twice a month seems to keep things reasonable...so that's what we recommend. If we give them some but not enough to overdose them then providing the UVB light from either sunlight or a UVB light allows them to produce the rest. Producing it from exposure to the UVB should not lead to an overdose as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it at will.

Dusting the insects lightly with a calcium powder helps to make up for the normally poor ratio found in most feeder insects we use...and should come within the proper range to balance with the D3 provided from the supplements and exposure to the UVB light.
Calcium needs the D3 to transport it to the bones and muscles, etc. otherwise it won't get there.
I recommend using the calcium on all but 4 feedings a month because the insects we uwe don't change in the amount they have in them from one time to a next so it makes sense to dust them all...at least for crickets, locusts, and the others that are reported as having a poor ratio. (Ones that have a proper ratio, of course don't need to be dusted.)

Vitamin A is somewhat antagonistic to the vitamin D3 and needs to be in balance with it. There are two kinds of vitamin A ...prOformed and prEformed. PrOformed vitamin A comes from carotenoids like beta carotene....and is converted by the body into prEformed vitamin A. It can not be overdosed...the body converts what it needs....however it's not known for sure how much chamelns can convert or if they can even convert any...so it's sometimes necessary to give the chameleon a bit of prEformed. PrEformed vitamin A is just that...it's already in that form and can be used right away and can build up in the system leading to health issues...so we need to be careful of it. This is why I say use a vitamin powder with a prOformed beta carotene source of vitamin A....we don't have to worry about overdosing it and we can then give a bit prEformed vitamin A if we think it's needed.

Regarding the UVB light...the long linear tube light covers a wider area of the cage so the chameleon doesn't have to just sit up in one little spot in order to get UVB...and as long as there are lots of plants in the cage, the chameleon can still get out of the light if hey want to. It's also been found that the reptisun 5.0 gives off a better amount of UVB so it continues to be recommended. UVB will not pass through normal window glass and even passing through the screen will deplete it to some extent.

I hope this clears up a few of the issues.

I wasn't having issues, I just see this asked almost daily by new keepers and it made me try, albeit fairly unsuccessfully, to put together some thoughts. LOL

Regardless, thank you for the responses

Back
Top Bottom