Calcigrubs

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
The other day someone asked me about my experience with Calcigrubs and I was still waiting on my order to be delivered. Well, it came today and they all look great! Very lively little maggots. They arrived on time and well packaged. I’ve no doubt my chams will be enjoying them.

The other day someone asked me about my experience with Calcigrubs and I was still waiting on my order to be delivered. Well, it came today and they all look great! Very lively little maggots. They arrived on time and well packaged. I’ve no doubt my chams will be enjoying them.
It was me! How long did they take to ship them to you?

When I ordered from them, they were exactly on time to when they promised. In my case, 3 days. But I am sure it is going to depend on the situation with covid-19 and the impact on the major shippers.

I use bsfl when I go on vacation, and they work perfectly. I make sure they are ready to hatch out as flies when I leave, and then I put enough in each cage in a bowl with their substrate to ensure a good number can hatch out while I am gone. In my experience, they tend to hatch out at different times over the course of 2 weeks, or sometimes even as long as a whole month.

But then again, I do feed my bsfl. I don't experience the smell issues I have heard people complain of, but then I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give them protein. I give them fruit and veg. They can destroy an apple cut in half in pretty short order, depending on how many you keep. Carrots are also well taken. If you worry about an explosion of fruit fly population you can either cover the container (which I do) and only have tiny pinholes for air, or put out some plastic cups with apple cider vinegar as traps.

When I first started working with bsfl I made the mistake of keeping them in the wrong substrate and ended up with WAY too much liquid waste as they fed and the fruit/veg broke down. Makes it soupy and a nightmare to work with. To fix this, and it's worked perfectly, I use dry rabbit food pellets as my substrate when I start my bsfl tub, and as they produce liquid it just gets absorbed into the compressed, dry hay. By the time they are ready to hatch out, I am left with awesome, rich, black soil/fertilizer that I am happy to use with my plants. A bit of natural fertilizer, no soupy, stinky mess, what's not to love?

Anyway, that's just what works for me. In my experience, what works for one may not work for others. The best you can do it give it a try and see if you can adapt it to fit your needs.

As always, this is just my unrequested $.02 worth. Do with it what you will.

I made the mistake of ordering on Memorial Day weekend, so filling my order was delayed. They took about 3-4 days from when they shipped them.

Back
Top Bottom