Cage wire type and size, which is best?

aguallo123

I am looking into getting a panther chameleon sometime in October and I am trying to build the large enclosure now for when it gets larger but I wanted to know which type of screen I should use for it being young and for when it is larger and older. Fine mesh or larger cage wire?

They both work equally well, depends on what your building. To me the biggest drawback to using larger size wire is your feeder insects can escape your enclosure.

They both work equally well, depends on what your building. To me the biggest drawback to using larger size wire is your feeder insects can escape your enclosure.
I'm trying to build a large outdoor cage about 3x3x6 and another one about the same size for indoor use. I assume the finer mesh would work better for indoor use because it would hold the humidity better.

I use a custom made screen cage out of 1/2 inch chicken wire. Made it 5x3x3 and haven't had any problems outside or in. It's just a pain because you have to have a feeder cage or cup for them. The mesh can tear pretty easy, and if you're gonna put your guy outside I really recommend wire so a bird doesn't make him a snack or some animal. :)

I use a custom made screen cage out of 1/2 inch chicken wire. Made it 5x3x3 and haven't had any problems outside or in. It's just a pain because you have to have a feeder cage or cup for them. The mesh can tear pretty easy, and if you're gonna put your guy outside I really recommend wire so a bird doesn't make him a snack or some animal. :)
Thanks for the advice I will consider using that size wire!

Back
Top Bottom