Cage Size

Jam

Hi I was just wondering if you guys could give me some guide lines or opinions on cage sizes.
Hermie is growing like a weed .. he's probably about 7 inches long now, and I'm wondering what size cage would be appropriate. I know that eventually he will need a BIG one, and I want to make sure that he is well housed, but at the same time would like to go through as few "intermediate" cages as possible.
I have noticed (and am watching bc I am slightly worried) that he is very distractable when eating time comes ... of course he wants the food to move, but not too far away or too fast, bc he takes so much time to finally make up his mind to "go for it" so I worry that anything too large woud make it nearly impossible for him to "find" his food.
Thanks!

How old is Hermie? Do the 7" include the tail? He could probably be put into an adult cage now, you just might need to change some of your feeding techniques. If you have not tried them, silkworms will help. They sit on a leaf and wiggle around enough to attract attention, but actually move pretty slowly. You might also want to experiment with cup feeding. Use multiple cups around your cham's favorite area to help him adjust to the feeding technique. When he is larger you can begin to spread the food throughout the cage.

adult cage for veiled:

min 24'x24'x48' screen

I have had hermie for about 5 weeks, and I am not sure how old he was when we got him, but he was VERY small ... about 3 inches long in total. And yes, the seven inches does include the length of his tail.
I will look into getting silk worms for him, and try the dish idea for him. He seems to like wax worms (the ones that I have seem to wiggle more than they actually crawl ... I've never seen him actually eat one, but they always disappear).
I worry about him eating enough and try to keep tabs on it the best that I can... the old chameleon used to eat all of her food off of a spoon, so it was very easy to know exactly what she was eating, but Hermie does not seem to like eating "in front of anyone" and hasn't really taken to spoon feeding.
Thanks for your help!
I really appreciate this forum, and everyone's advice.

In cup feeding I mean to hang cups from branches or the side of the cage, not to place them on the floor. Just wanted to be clear and make sure you understood what I was suggesting.

Hi I was just wondering if you guys could give me some guide lines or opinions on cage sizes.
Hermie is growing like a weed .. he's probably about 7 inches long now, and I'm wondering what size cage would be appropriate. I know that eventually he will need a BIG one, and I want to make sure that he is well housed, but at the same time would like to go through as few "intermediate" cages as possible.
I have noticed (and am watching bc I am slightly worried) that he is very distractable when eating time comes ... of course he wants the food to move, but not too far away or too fast, bc he takes so much time to finally make up his mind to "go for it" so I worry that anything too large woud make it nearly impossible for him to "find" his food.
Thanks!
You can take a medium or large cage and make levels or section it off so he won't get tired of running up and down the enclosure. Place the food up top.

You can take a medium or large cage and make levels or section it off so he won't get tired of running up and down the enclosure. Place the food up top.

necro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom