Cage size questions

Kenidi

From everything I have been reading on this forum, it seems as though 2'x2'x3' is the bare minimum for cage size for an adult panther chameleon, but I was wondering if you could have a cage that is 4' wide 1' deep and 4' tall. It is a little bigger (area wise) and provides an extra foot of horizontal and vertical space, just isn't as deep. I currently have a standard 2'x2'x3' screen enclosure, but was thinking about building one, and was interested in making it into a shallow wall unit, as the room it would be housed in is on the small side.

Any opinions are welcome!

I guess it depends on the species of cham. Some of them get pretty big, and you don't want it to be too awkward for them to turn around and stuff, also it might be difficult finding plants that don't spread out more than 12 inches. I would probably try to add at least another half foot on the depth. Lots of people use 100 gallon flexariums, and the depth is 16.5 inches. You get extra width with these, and the 4 ft height, but we still get scolded about not having the 2 ft depth. Honestly even my pretty shrimpy hibiscus still drips down the sides of the mesh cause it's branches want to reach out so far sideways.It would be totally smushed if I only had 1 ft. depth.
I do love the idea of extra width though - given the opportunity, big guys or little guys, they all love to cruise back & forth the whole 4 ft every single day. I'm getting the other room ready to move the cages, and I'm going to feel terribly guilty standing the cage back up properly now that they're used to all that width.

I guess it depends on the species of cham. Some of them get pretty big, and you don't want it to be too awkward for them to turn around and stuff, also it might be difficult finding plants that don't spread out more than 12 inches. I would probably try to add at least another half foot on the depth. Lots of people use 100 gallon flexariums, and the depth is 16.5 inches. You get extra width with these, and the 4 ft height, but we still get scolded about not having the 2 ft depth. Honestly even my pretty shrimpy hibiscus still drips down the sides of the mesh cause it's branches want to reach out so far sideways.It would be totally smushed if I only had 1 ft. depth.
I do love the idea of extra width though - given the opportunity, big guys or little guys, they all love to cruise back & forth the whole 4 ft every single day. I'm getting the other room ready to move the cages, and I'm going to feel terribly guilty standing the cage back up properly now that they're used to all that width.

Hmm I hadn't thought about the plant issues I'd have. The room is so tiny that the 2ft depth almost feels like it would turn it into a hallway it I were to go 2 feet deep and 4'-5' long. 18" wouldn't be bad though on depth if the plants could handle it. The construction of it is a long way away, I am just trying to get a basic idea in mind

It probably would but he would have to walk to one side turn arund walk back. One foot wide isn't very wide. The first time I heard about a 2x2x4 cage I didn't think it was necessary. I now know different an adult panther chameleon is a fairly large lizard that likes to roam. Mine constantly move all day long. I would reconsider the 2x2x4 cage. I've even considered going bigger asnmy largest male can easily get food on the opposite side of the cage without even moving, starting to make him fat heehee:D.

Lol. Yeah I was definitely thinking about going bigger in area (anywhere from 4-6 feet in width) but I see that depth can be as important. I might need to plan on putting the enclosure in a different room to allow for the size I want lol

Maybe you could have some of it thinner and some of it wider, like a bay window style, or just the top wider or something, to make a little more useable space in your room down lower or on the ends?

Maybe you could have some of it thinner and some of it wider, like a bay window style, or just the top wider or something, to make a little more useable space in your room down lower or on the ends?

That is definitely an idea. I will have to measure the room to find out for sure what I can do. I definitely don't want him to feel cramped at all, but if I can't get to the room to feed/water/clean/etc then it kind of defeats the purpose lol. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom