Cage size for juvenile Panther

Clayton0520

Avid Member
Hello everyone,

I currently do not own a chameleon yet but I have plans on buying 2 panthers. I have ordered 2 of the Dragon Strand XL breeder series cages but I believe from everything I have read that might be too large of a cage for a juvenile. Could some one give me suggestions on a good size or brand cage for juveniles? I have also purchased a mistking mister system and have started raising crickets so I believe I am some what prepared for my babies when ever I get to the point of buying them. Any and all info would be great for what I need for a couple juvenile panthers.

Thank you,
Clayton

I would at least just try the xl first and see what happens, bigger is better after all when it comes to cham cages, but if you find that they're having problems downize them.

A bigger cage for a juvenile isn't a problem at all, after all in the wild they have the whole jungle to themselves! Just make sure you have a feeding station where the bugs won't escape, and adjust your branches for the uvb and heat basking accordingly. Good Luck! :)

I guess I never thought of that but you’re exactly right. I ordered a solameter 6.5 last night so I can check my UVB. I’ve read multiple opinions about a 6% & 12% Arcadia bulbs so I was thinking I would go with the 12% and lower my basking branch till I get the right numbers on my solameter. Does that sound right to y’all?

This might help from Bill Strand's Chameleon Breeder Podcast, he has a lot of experience in this area.

"Now here is where I am going to go out on a limb. When people purchase a baby chameleon – often at the three month mark – the advice is usually given that they should be grown up in a smaller cage and then, when they are adult, graduate to their final large size adult cage. I am going to suggest to you that you just get the adult cage for your three month baby."

You can listen to the full podcast here...
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-67-housing-baby-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom