CAGE REVIEW/ ADVICE?

alanwavy

ai just got my Male adult veiled Cham, he was very feisty at first but came around and allowed to be handled about 4 days at home. he is in a grow tent, with a t5 arcadia fixture 12hr , he has a misting setup it comes on 2 a day for 2 minutes. he eats every 3-4 days 8 dubias and 2 superworms.

Attachments

• 40EF4DAA-93E2-424A-8EF9-BF10642F9B8C.jpeg
    40EF4DAA-93E2-424A-8EF9-BF10642F9B8C.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 1A62C926-AD43-4305-BF6E-C53F5D31E9D7.jpeg
    1A62C926-AD43-4305-BF6E-C53F5D31E9D7.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 0716E236-9F1D-4DA4-A361-0ECC841348CA.jpeg
    0716E236-9F1D-4DA4-A361-0ECC841348CA.jpeg
    237.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 50
Hi and welcome. How are you measuring temps and humidity? Do you have a basking light, have you ever filled in a husbandry form? Would be better if your grow tent/ enclosure was up of the floor as your little guy will fell safer higher up .

hello i have temp guages, he does have a basking light that runs the same time as his UV , and i am in the process of getting him higher, hard to find furniture big enough but not so bulky and space consuming. He is not my first cham i had one that died to MBD at about 1.5 yrs old so im reaching for help with my cham Mac-1.Does he look healthy? Insect recommendations?

Hi and welcome! :) So happy to have you here and wanting to do the best you can for your handsome guy. The easiest way to help you would be to do a full husbandry review. Just copy/paste the following with your answers and someone can go thru it and see if all is good.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome on here! Is there enough airflow in the grow tent? Also, the coconut ladder thing needs to go, along with the recirculating water thing, and the fake plants, too. Veileds will eat fake plants, which can cause an impaction and lead to death. You don't want any recirculating water sources as they get contaminated very easy. If the clear tupperware is his food dish, it needs to be placed higher in the cage, as well. If you could fill out this form in as much detail as possible, it's be great! Doing that will help us help you give your chan the best life possible!

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-120844.png
    Screenshot_20220627-120844.png
    704 KB · Views: 44
  • Chameleon-Plants-061321-scaled-300x388.jpg
    Chameleon-Plants-061321-scaled-300x388.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 42
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 36
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 38
Hi you can find lots of info regarding temps ,humidity 30 to 50 % daytime, are you measuring these, on chameleon academy, Neptune the chameleon you tube and also casque above. Com. A variety of insects is best crickets, locusts, roaches, bsfl silkworms ,all fed and gutloaded well. Mealworms are not recommended but ok in moderation, Waxworms, pachnoda ,only as treats

Hi and welcome,
I can only agree with the above mentioned, but in addition to that there´re a few things that are worrying me and I do think a growth tent could work. However at the moment I got some serious question marks and this no offence towards you and we just wanna help, so you and your boy can have a long and happy life together:
1) 2 minutes misting? Where does all the water go? there are no plants in it that can absorb it, therefore the bottom should be soaked then.
2) airflow? I don´t if does flaps on the side can be opened? because otherwise I would recommend adding some pc fans at the bottom to let things dry out and get airflow to prevent stagnant air and bacteria grow.
3) and now the most important, IMHO your boy gets over exposed to UVB. The fixture is inside the tent, creating lots of extra heat next to the primary heat light, and the inside of the tent is one huge reflector. Meaning your boy can´t hide from the UVB and it are for 100% extreme high levels, which will cause troubles on the long term.

For instance check following figure, to see what the safe levels are, blue are the levels which are safe for your cham and that should be in your setting at the bottom.
Screenshot 2022-07-04 141318.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-08 083800.jpg

Like said, I´m convinced this can work, however some adjustments are needed and filling out the form will help us giving the most accurate feedback.

I second the concern with over exposure to UVB. While I admire out-of-the-box enclosures, it's important that the enclosure is still able to provide a safe and healthy environment. I would take a look at this video and make the necessary adjustments to adapt your enclosure to what your chameleon needs:

Back
Top Bottom