Cage layout?

Aren't those strip thermometers notorious for being highly inaccurate?

My neighbors had one in their setup and it was off by a good 10-15 degrees easily.

I don't have any experience to add as far as husbandry, but I do know those thermometers are whack.

I bet others can provide some better tips though.

Looks very nice, open basking spot is good plus the dense foliage on the sides is useful for cover, moisture capture and drinking!! Looooooks good:D

I would say it lacks ventilation!!!!
This could cause plenty problems:eek:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's fairly common for people in Europe not to use screen cages- I guess it works pretty well over there.

I remember a thread a while back where someone posted pictures of a beautiful Parsons in a large aquarium, basically. I have never seen another thread with so many of the highly experienced and respected members on this board get THAT UPSET. lol. But someone called them on it (and since the Parsons was clearly an incredibly healthy- well taken care of- specimen, everyone let it go.

Aren't those strip thermometers notorious for being highly inaccurate?

My neighbors had one in their setup and it was off by a good 10-15 degrees easily.

I don't have any experience to add as far as husbandry, but I do know those thermometers are whack.

I bet others can provide some better tips though.

yea they are inaccurate.. i had one on in the beggining and it was 10 deg. off. and if it gets wet it gets off even more like 20 off..
sorry if this has been answrerd im just starting reading lol

I would say it lacks ventilation!!!!
This could cause plenty problems:eek:

Thats how many in the UK do it. Most of them use glass enclosures, I dont understand how screen cages are not easly accessable over there or why they arent used more often. I would either drill more holes or use peg board (used in retail stores to hang product). You really should consider changing the analog thermometers out for a digital one, atleast for the basking area. I have seen them inaccurate up to 10 degrees. Other then that the cage appears to be functional and apealling to the eye. He's a good looking cham and he looks healthy.:)

-Jay

I'd say it could use more plants, they don't all need to be live since you've done a great job providing live plants already, but the denser the better!

Also, I'd imagine he'd feel more secure if you could change the walls from white to something a little darker with some pattern. At many pet stores you can buy backgrounds (pictures of plants, coral, etc) to put on the back of aquariums and the idea is to make the fish feel less out in the open, and you can really tell that by doing this the fish are less stressed and more prone to swim freely.
By making the sides a more natural color, I'd bet you could do the same thing.

cover that bulb so he cant touch it! he could potentially kill himself ! get some wire mesh, and surround the light, and maybe the same for the cord you would hate to come home if your cham decided to chew the wire. other than that i would get both a digital Temp/Humidity gauge, and add a lot more plants

Screen cages are easily accessable over here but i like to do things custom, The door is full screen and there are plenty of holes drilled in the back aswell ...I thuoght id try a white interior to lighten things up a bit..

You know what, I think it looks pretty good! aside from a more soothing painted walls. I see 2 large circle vents at both sides. Good! A really small fan outside,( but at one of those vents) blowing air across the enclosure will vent that fine.
Nice setup your on the right track, a comfortable well layed out home!

Ok went back to the pictures, And yes love the walkways and not so dence cover, Good job! with a screened front, I didnt know about when I first added in, your set.

You know what, I think it looks pretty good! aside from a more soothing painted walls. I see 2 large circle vents at both sides. Good! A really small fan outside,( but at one of those vents) blowing air across the enclosure will vent that fine.
Nice setup your on the right track, a comfortable well layed out home!

Ok went back to the pictures, And yes love the walkways and not so dence cover, Good job! with a screened front, I didnt know about when I first added in, your set.
Thanks ...do you think more cover is needed?

Maybe abit more cover in a area within your Viv. Just in case Your Cham elects to hide once in a while. Sometimes when they are in a bad mood they like to go hide abit.
But dont let more cover take away from the open ability he has to walk around your vines and stuff.

Like a hanging plant or tall potted plant at the door, to give him more cover at one area that gets between him in the cage and you or others outside the cage.

You can even put a large plant in front of half your Viv, on the outside to give him that comfort barrior.

Last edited:
I think it looks great.

I echo the comment about the thermometre - recommend you get a nice digital one.

I dont use screen cages either - I see nothing wrong with that - its the interior environment thats important, not the construction of the cage. If the door are screen, or if there is a vent also in the top, I would think there's good ventilation.

I prefer brown, green and black over white (I find white to bright, glare)

I might add another semi-horizontal vine or branch mid-way in the cage. I might replace the fake leaves with another pothos or similar.

Thanks for sharing!

I think it looks great.

I echo the comment about the thermometre - recommend you get a nice digital one.

I dont use screen cages either - I see nothing wrong with that - its the interior environment thats important, not the construction of the cage. If the door are screen, or if there is a vent also in the top, I would think there's good ventilation.

I prefer brown, green and black over white (I find white to bright, glare)

I might add another semi-horizontal vine or branch mid-way in the cage. I might replace the fake leaves with another pothos or similar.

Thanks for sharing!
Ok great advice thanks...

Thats how many in the UK do it. Most of them use glass enclosures, I dont understand how screen cages are not easly accessable over there or why they arent used more often.

Not only in the UK...

They are easily accesable over here in Europe,

(we use them mostly in summertime, when there's enough sunlight, to let them bask outside in the sun for a while.)

It's just that, with our climate, it's easier to create a good environment inside a glass cage, than it is in a screen cage, espacially in winter.

With low room temperatures in fall, winter and spring we'd have to heat the room all day, even if we aren't at home, to maintain a good temperature inside the cage. otherwise, only the top of the cage would be warm.

Also the humidity might be a problem in a screen cage.

Many experienced breeders here use glass or wooden cages, and advice NOT to use screen cages unless in a warm chameleonroom, and only if you're somewhat expierenced.

This is my cage by the way:
ejeiqx.jpg

It has ventilation at the bottom, and at the top:

n17ytl.jpg

ONTOPIC:
I'd put some more plants in your cage, neanate ;)

I use ficus Benjamini's.

Greetz ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, and yes, they are real. 4 ficus banjamini's, and some other smaller plants.
Also some fake ones hanging on the glass.

And if anyone is wondering, no, he doens't eat the substrate, nor do I know anyone who has had the problem, and I know quite some people who use substrate.

greetz ;)

Back
Top Bottom