Cage inside of a cage ?

RikkiL

Established Member
Hi all, so I do think my egg is starting to "window" this makes me second guess all my hard work and research and makes me more nervous the EVER! With ALL my research there has been many do this's, don't do that's. But no clear answer really when it comes to housing a hatchling. Smaller cages or baby bins, Bill strand says bigger cage is fine and acceptable. So here is my question has any one ever put a smaller cage inside a bigger cage? My problem is my lights can not just sit on a tub and for the life of me with out spending a small fortune on something we can use after, I can not think of a solution. So my husband thinks if we take a critter keeper size tank make the inside with a small jungle gym and leafs to hide we could suspend it in the big cage with in the hight recomendation of the uvb. I also thought some kind of screen suspension to add a false floor higher up in the cage. I'm not sure why I'm second guessing my enclosure beside I keep reading more and maybe should stop.my ocd and wanting everything to be great for my new baby is taking me in a tale spin

Thanks in advance for the kind support. I have a 2x2x4 zen habitat with PVC sides air flow screen on bottom and screen top

Last edited:
I am not sure, I'm scared nervous feel like a first time expecting mom and over thinking it probably. I know "baby binx" will be so tiny and fragile so I just want to make sure I do the best care possible. I plan on cup feeding, I have little cups that are not see through. So I'm not concerned about not know how much baby is eating. I think its more of the wobbles and falls that make me worried.

Baby chameleons live in the wild up in trees and they do fine. I think baby binx (cute name by the way) will do fine in his big boy cage. Just remember to furnish lots of branches that are thinner for him to be able to manage instead of big thick ones although you can add some thicker ones as well. Try to get a big centerpiece plant like an umbrella tree or a ficus benjamina or something like that and add smaller plant around it to fill out the enclosure. He’ll want lots of places to hide because that’s how baby chams feel safe and secure. If they don’t have lots of places to hide, they feel exposed and not safe at all. Good luck with him! Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you have because we’re all here to support you and help you any way we can! Also we want baby pics! Lol!

Thank you very much that helps my brain relax a bit. I have lots of pathos vines that go all directions in the hopes that will be the main highways to get around, there is think and thin branches. I'm still working on raising my uvb light up a few inches but having a hard time figuring the exact way that needs to be done for our home and his home.

Here is the current set up

Attachments

• 20211013_192045.jpg
    20211013_192045.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 97
Baby chameleons live in the wild up in trees and they do fine. I think baby binx (cute name by the way) will do fine in his big boy cage. Just remember to furnish lots of branches that are thinner for him to be able to manage instead of big thick ones although you can add some thicker ones as well. Try to get a big centerpiece plant like an umbrella tree or a ficus benjamina or something like that and add smaller plant around it to fill out the enclosure. He’ll want lots of places to hide because that’s how baby chams feel safe and secure. If they don’t have lots of places to hide, they feel exposed and not safe at all. Good luck with him! Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you have because we’re all here to support you and help you any way we can! Also we want baby pics! Lol!
I do have an umbrella tree but inside the store it looked much smaller so now we just set it next to the cage till I get the nerve to chop it and replace my brromlaid

I turned my misters down for now to 30 seconds 3 times a day so humidity is not great but when we start to hatch I will set back to 2 min twice a day. 71 degrees and 44 % humidity
Idk what species of Cham u have but for veiled daytime humidity that perfect!

Do you have some fruit fly cultures going and some pinhead crickets? He will eat lots and lots!
I have 4 32 Oz deli containers of hydei flys, 2 are ready and the other 2 have about a week and I'm trying to make more on Saturdays so I have a revolving food supply and 2 containers of been beatles started. Cause I'm not sure when I can expect the arrival any day to months I'm trying not to breed to many just yet.

Your enclosure is very nice but yes the umbrella tree would be better. He can hide in that.
I'm afraid I have to take out all the branches to add it to my enclosure. As its one peice that starts from the bottom of cage. It's placed inside the bioactive soil about 4 inches and goes to the very top. I had to cut lots off of it to get it to fit, bent branches zip tied and prayed for the best thats why so much it at the tippy top. Also I'm no good at clipping plants I'm scared I will kill it here is the umbrella compared to the cage.

Attachments

• 20211013_194756.jpg
    20211013_194756.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom