Cage for an adult Oustalet's??

I'm looking at the 175 gallon Reptarium, with it arranged vertical as I use for my adult Male Veiled.

I'm not sure the added 2 foot height or length in the 260 really adds anything.....

Thoughts??

The bigger you can go the better, but you can certainly use the 175-it is plenty big enough. You would defintely want to use it vertically. For those of you that don't know-a 175 is the same as a 24X24X48.

If its going to be for a male, I'd go bigger. Are you set on a reptarium? A nice wood and screen cage would be the way to go for a guy that large then you could customize it for his particular needs. I'd want a 3x3x5 minimum for a large species like an oustie or mellers and bigger would be even better.

I know one of the forum members Ericsorgs keeps his male in a 8'x8' I believe? I have 3 baby ousties from him and once they get bigger, I plan on making something like 4x7 or 4x6 for each of them. I may go 3' wide but not any slimmer, definitely 6 or 7 foot though. I have 3 probable males so I know they will enjoy the space.

I know one of the forum members Ericsorgs keeps his male in a 8'x8' I believe? I have 3 baby ousties from him and once they get bigger, I plan on making something like 4x7 or 4x6 for each of them. I may go 3' wide but not any slimmer, definitely 6 or 7 foot though. I have 3 probable males so I know they will enjoy the space.

Are you planning on housing them together?

5' long x 4' high x 30" wide makes a nice size for a male oustalets.

Just get two reptarium covers and some pvc corners. cut one side out of each cover and sew them together with fishing line, then build your own pvc frame. You end up with dimensions above for around $100. Put the whole thing on a table so the top of the cage is 6' off the ground.

5' long x 4' high x 30" wide makes a nice size for a male oustalets.

Just get two reptarium covers and some pvc corners. cut one side out of each cover and sew them together with fishing line, then build your own pvc frame. You end up with dimensions above for around $100. Put the whole thing on a table so the top of the cage is 6' off the ground.

I'm not real handy so a Reptarium or similar is the way to go for me

No DIY for me....

I keep mine during the colder months inside in an 2'x2'x4' LLL reptile cage and during the warmer months a 8'x8'x10' corners limited cage.

No worries, I definitely won't house them together. I don't want to stress them out or worry about territorial issues.

I don't think you'd have territorial issues. Here in Florida we fine em' clumped together a few to a tree. Here's one of the ones found a few weeks ago...
Foustaleti.jpg

I keep my two oust's together no problem.

Last edited:
I used to keep them as pairs when I bred them years ago too. Guy who got me into them kept them that way. Don't know if I'd do that today- I think breeding is more likely if they are isolated outside of breeding attempts (distance makes the heart grow fonder).

Back
Top Bottom