Cage Critique

BlueSky

Hello friends!
I've been around on the forums for almost a month now, and I'm so excited to say I finally took my beloved baby cham home from the pet store I work at!
14079495_10205150723446022_7498329979208158198_n.jpg

His name is Jabba, we guess he's around 6 months old, and he is full of personality!
I just finished setting up his cage recently, and wanted to see what everyone thought. This is my first cham, so I'm a beginner at this. Any comments and critiques are welcome!
Ea_Fp97BH5TNaJJc_E1M78uW_YSS6GAAgKNS0MGRUH8EBkJ0Gh9RHUhNKTTG4EWZxgl8s-zhwR2iEUsxV_IHXAclXP82ba_FcvNkZqpqmPBrkQNv6KSHJt0ct5coTTnnpcFkd6n7oPKhLv0Xl3K6nwOwT_2vW98Jmmt9JTgYHc7Q0_gokhfAEyjCgGn9mmOcBUmLkxeCqFQ5VDgl-sWWyO4Z0N_J5UZckVQvnhwzsT0GCDLdHFIZI_lKDeg5TRkDPwmSIC1DX-vp1NQbMXeYYdLslcaFsV5mZGzem52GDafelrB17jtZXpK_XZjqCvwDlkIkiGm4cxN1bSH38fdtA6bx2mgJFgfx0gelDddlnwuhCqDpxq2r_GcuCSttmm65F19FH86L5NqWk41dyhGYqEC3kK4ZJ87D2mw4QRmWk1KHTVjbf8jCgVNuiYNIVJPHaqx9tM2tI1zrnZRIZPTRZSxo0s0zWNWFmDPjJGWiSLOMn-miHkpbAceDgLJkbGWmxqtCN6MrXLShvJR6czj3i0v0NErxKagfhodpDs-Yn3BYfy5Z_8lBbzoaJy9fUb2gtTyjn64L5wqH2JVA2pG7waRPorgRCmHbqF08Tq5r-8_Ka1h-=w501-h667-no

Details: The cage is a ZooMed 18x18x36 (I believe,) and all the plants are fake so far. I've got an automatic dripper on the top right there that drips water down over faux leaves inside it. In the back is a little ceramic humidifier I bought off of Amazon. I was kind of doubtful it would help the humidity, but I haven't had any problems with it yet! The inside of the 3 vertical walls are covered with a soft landscape fabric for protection against toe scrapes.

Bonus points for whoever can find him in that second picture. :)

It's a good start, but he ( in the upper left corner of the second pic ) will need more horizontal space, in 4-6 months, with 48" being a minimum. You need lots more foliage and branches and remember that misting is needed or showers, a few times a week for eye cleaning, even if he drinks from the dripper, which many do not drink enough from drippers.

Thanks for the reply! I am working on getting some more foliage and hiding places for him, and I plan on upgrading his home once he gets a little bigger! (Maybe for his birthday:) )

Definitely, definitely get him some live plants (I know you said you were planning on it, but I figured I'd say it anyway!). Moisture holds on them SO MUCH longer than fake ones. I also agree that he needs some more horizontal space. He's a good looking boy though! Congratulations and enjoy him!!

(Boo!! The second picture wouldn't load for me - so I can't play!)

Im gonna start looking for live plants soon! Do you have a specific type you recommend that works well indoors?

Im gonna start looking for live plants soon! Do you have a specific type you recommend that works well indoors?

I personally use pothos and spider plants. They both work well for me. I put the spider plant in just to add a little more cover... but my guy always plunks his fat a$$ on it. o_O He really likes it. Here is a pic of him on it just yesterday!!

Aug - 30.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!
So I decided to go with a nicely sized hibiscus plant, because it was cheap and apparently easy to care for! Any advice on how to prepare it to put it in the cage with my guy? I don't want to risk him ingesting any foreign substances on there.

You definitely need to wash off the foliage... I put my plants in the shower, give them a good rinse. then I spray soapy (dish soap) water on all the leaves and rinse very well. Some people like to change out all the soil as well, I don't do this. I just make sure that I have nice sized rocks covering the entire top surface of the planter so the cham can't get to the dirt. Make sure the planter provides good drainage as well.

I had hibiscus with my last cham and she would eat all the flowers and many leaves on it. I do seem to recall it required a lot of light to grow properly.

Great choice! (y)

It's easy. You can use a big bucket or the bathtub ,whichever you want. Take the plant and cover the dirt area with a towel or foil .Fill your bucket or tub with lukewarm water with a little bit of Dawn .Take the plant and turn it upside down and swish it around in the water. Turn it upright and rinse it well in the shower. Let dry..Changed out your soil to organic,as the soil it's in still has pesticides. Cover the top with rocks and you are plant safe.

Your chameleon will love this plant(hibiscus). I have four I rotate. My guys eat two or more flowers a day.

These are awesome tips! Thank you guys!
Dang, I didn't know they ate so much! Maybe I'll have to buy a few more to rotate out so this one doesn't get devoured! Thanks !!

The flowers are good for them.... full of vitamin A. Mine do not eat the leaves .One of my males will eat the bud if the flower has not opened fully.

Here's an update on my buddy's cage!
vq8TooKHb6oTieS1A

I got a nice healthy hibiscus in the middle now, and added some more hanging leaves from the top. He seems to love his new plant! He hasn't tasted it yet, but I'm sure that's coming soon. :p

Wow, I left this thread hanging forever with a faulty picture, oops!
Td_LOHLGcruZxIyUWCV-_f3qS1dKyaR1f3DUfeq1dTFP6ypbqgsWq9TREJkI8Cr4VQfK8Pt4kSHtOfGpkK-lJOxMc05EfeKkB5Fr2SPT2FzZ6idrzHVjrTeTRganfJoNo6SNRD7gRR4FMu9RBxPmcBE5H1KueAYj-MsOadfS59IWaByvWFBC9WUeEvzTyIdU82F2Z4R5EfMEVwMFVaGfONGBDy_6LxkdmPwk-J-4yQBnpr9XcRXSoIY-OAszMrekx9Dwy64D5JKODegJFTOhfK8x2A6zzTuKJNyeZedPYgKNyY9JH71wqFpiC2V205ysVA-kemJNup2aqS-114pg6UXSj7CxdVIsCenPqZDYG0l-jz3WRkJhSz2O8fB-WzPNZaR8txKqm69es8drSJA7J_t5S6v6pF_VO0Vdzk6fnw0c8CV4Y9PT7CdBSK5rDzP4DA5mHh8f8CCwdGNZR9U_SmRauxmE9gvGaSwyQ4OdtcsLz1lpahzjFlwtXtsdfEZZlQHPgBocdBfZzhQDHBD6MxJFn9QL4_9CfCSlQTXXa8VmnDpEcYwkNwc10UqLLmbEhSLckjYN9lsaKZb5FfC3lLGYrFemiUX_SBbKnrapzapc4948=w468-h623-no

I've changed out the plant since I took the last pic, and I like the look of this one so much better! :)
Challenge #2: can you find him hiding in this pic?

Back
Top Bottom