Cage cleaning/disinfecting

WTF

If I move my chameleon to a larger cage and want to reuse the smaller original cage for a younger chameleon, is there a preferred way to disinfect the original cage?

Unless you have a parasite problem, a good scrubbing is probably all it needs. Hot water and ivory liquid dish soap (the white kind in the squeeze bottle) is what I use. I also have a shark steamer that I use for hard to clean things like branches and vines.

If it's small enough, you can soak it in the tub. I actually hose everything off in my driveway. Be careful not to scrub the screen too hard, or you will damage it (voice of experience, haha).

Someone else might have some other ideas, too.

Thanks for the idea and past experience I was worried about the content of soap.

Thanks again ivory it is

I like ivory liquid dish soap for just about everything. It's a mild anionic surfactant with no perfume or dye and nothing to deposit residue, like with Dawn or Joy which have an additive that stays on the surface to help prevent water spots.

I use ILDS diluted in potable or RO water for general cleaning of delicate and historic objects (also for washing my car, hehe), and I trust it with animals. You still want to thoroughly rinse everything just in case and make sure it's the squeeze bottle kind, not the bar.

Back
Top Bottom