Cage Build

Alastair&Anna

Established Member
Hi!! So I've started building a new enclosure for Alastair (3x2x4). Well actually, I'm almost done. Smh sometimes I wonder why I didn't just buy one, it would have been less trouble. But oh well, what has been started must be finished. Anywho i had a question. What should i put on the bottom of the cage? I need something heavy and waterproof (hopefully cheap T-T). I used a sheet of wood for the back (my mistake) and it is too heavy for my aluminum to hold. I was hoping to put another piece of wood on the bottom but I dont want to finish it so it is waterproof. My next choice was a PVC sheet, but that is really light weight. My next choice after that would probably be to screw it in the wall, but I would rather not do that. Any suggestions?
(Sorry for the crappy pics, it terribly dark in my living room)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210619_073831.jpg
    20210619_073831.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210619_073801.jpg
    20210619_073801.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 146
Its really huge... Your going to have a hard time making that water tight so it does not leak on your wood floors.

Personally I would build a drip pan for the actual cage to sit into on risers or plastic egg crate so it lifts it up. Build it so that the pan is larger then the cage by a few inches on the side so if anything runs down the screen it goes into the pan. Then you would need to wet vac any excess water out of it.
You could build it out of wood and then flex seal the pan a few times so it is water tight.

Its really huge... Your going to have a hard time making that water tight so it does not leak on your wood floors.

Personally I would build a drip pan for the actual cage to sit into on risers or plastic egg crate so it lifts it up. Build it so that the pan is larger then the cage by a few inches on the side so if anything runs down the screen it goes into the pan. Then you would need to wet vac any excess water out of it.
You could build it out of wood and then flex seal the pan a few times so it is water tight.
Ok! Thanks! I'll think on that. My dad is coming home tonight so I'll ask his opinion on it too. I'm still in my predicament tho T-T jeez I'm so stressed on getting it done before I leave for Oregon on Tuesday. This little bugger better be grateful.

You could use some pond liner if you want to, but the drip pan is most likely cheaper and easier. You could also male/buy a 3' x 2' aquarium

I would raise it up onto a stand first. Chameleons feel safest/most comfortable when their basking site is at or above eye level.

Height is security to most chameleon species found in captivity. But height to a chameleon is not how far their basking branch is to the floor of their cage, but how high their basking branch is relative to the people and creatures walking around them. This is why wide format cages can be shorter in height and be effective. A 30” tall cage on top of a dresser will give more security than a 48” tall cage on the floor.

https://chameleonacademy.com/selecting-chameleon-cage-size/
One of the most effective ways to give security to a chameleon is to arrange it so they can perch high up. If you are able to set their cage on a platform where their perch is at or, better, above eye level of the humans walking around, your chameleon will feel much more secure.
Perch height will determine how well your chameleon will tolerate people and pets milling around. It is amazing the difference being above the action will make.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/

Then I would think about drainage. There are many ideas in the Drainage Thread.

To answer more directly, I'd install a screen floor similar to the sides you've built. Under that a layer of ceiling egg crate will support the screen and any plant pots—IDK about the chair (but cool idea :)).
Under the egg crate, you'll need a drain pan, possibly slightly larger than the enclosure. Many/most come with drain hardware—usually out the side. This can drain into a bucket (many use standard 5 gal) underneath the enclosure.

Here's my screen floor, and drainage beneath.

1624196495046.png

1624196724054.png

You can get by with shorter stand and smaller bucket.

I would raise it up onto a stand first. Chameleons feel safest/most comfortable when their basking site is at or above eye level.

Then I would think about drainage. There are many ideas in the Drainage Thread.

To answer more directly, I'd install a screen floor similar to the sides you've built. Under that a layer of ceiling egg crate will support the screen and any plant pots—IDK about the chair (but cool idea :)).
Under the egg crate, you'll need a drain pan, possibly slightly larger than the enclosure. Many/most come with drain hardware—usually out the side. This can drain into a bucket (many use standard 5 gal) underneath the enclosure.

Here's my screen floor, and drainage beneath.

You can get by with shorter stand and smaller bucket.
Yeha haha, I'm planning on having the cage on a table (another foot higher, so almost the ceiling) . Lol and the chair is what is holding the enclosure up at the moment, but it will be gone as soon as I can figure out how to keep the enclosure standing up without it.

Yeha haha, I'm planning on having the cage on a table (another foot higher, so almost the ceiling) . Lol and the chair is what is holding the enclosure up at the moment, but it will be gone as soon as I can figure out how to keep the enclosure standing up without it.
Hmmm... :unsure: Not sure what the problem is, but would reinforcing the corners with aluminum angle or channel do it?

Update: it is finally donnee!! Alastair is in it and looking so teeny tiny. I still need more coverage and foliage to help him hide a bit more, but it is looking really cool so far!

Attachments

• 20210710_190104.jpg
    20210710_190104.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210711_090729.jpg
    20210711_090729.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210711_090737.jpg
    20210711_090737.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom