Buying plants online

ALLIEGATOR

So I'm very nervous about adding live plants to my enclosure. Wondering if it would be a good idea to buy plants online. Pros, cons?
Any website anyone would recommend.

Well to be honest, I've done a ton of research, and I'm not to picky as long as it is safe. I would like it to be a good size for my enclosure maybe 12× 16 inches

I bought mine from a reputable local nursery. Even some online Cham friendly sites spray theirs with pesticides so either way your gonna get treated plants. Just wash them really well and replace the soil with new soil. Since you have veiled I would recommend putting 1 inch or larger river rock on top of the dirt so its not eaten. I am really fond of the pothos plants their vines are very strong and the Cham can use them to travel on. I also like that their leaves are larger to create areas of shade. Plus Veileds like to munch on their leaves. :)

I have never bought any plants online there are many nurseries in my area but, regardless definitely research the right type of plants. I only have live plants in mine although I always seem to struggle with keeping Hibiscus plants for long. After I buy any safe plant, I still clean all the leaves remove most of the soil replant them in a safe potting mix and I put clean rocks on top so my Cham can’t get to any of the soil. I hope this helps you

Purchasing big plants online costs an arm and a leg in shipping, but it works fine. Etsy has tons of options

Yes!!! Def pricey for larger plants to ship... even for planta themselves. Pothos is always a good choice. Doesnt need a lot of light.. also drachnae is also a safe option.. and yes... etsy has some good things.

I went to 5 or 6 nursery's when I was setting up my enclosure and was unable to find anything I liked as a main plant. I ended up buying an umbrella plant off of ebay for $30 shipped around 3 months ago and it is doing well. You can find pothos everywhere (nursery's, home depot, lowes, maybe walmart) so no need to shop online for it.

Yes!!! Def pricey for larger plants to ship... even for planta themselves. Pothos is always a good choice. Doesnt need a lot of light.. also drachnae is also a safe option.. and yes... etsy has some good things.
I'm going to check it out

I went to 5 or 6 nursery's when I was setting up my enclosure and was unable to find anything I liked as a main plant. I ended up buying an umbrella plant off of ebay for $30 shipped around 3 months ago and it is doing well. You can find pothos everywhere (nursery's, home depot, lowes, maybe walmart) so no need to shop online for it.
I've been told to watch out for pothos bc they are easily confused and some are toxic

I've been told to watch out for pothos bc they are easily confused and some are toxic
They are considered toxic due to oxailates or razor shaped cells that act as a self defense mechanism ,they are also in schefflura aka umbrella plant another popular plant for chams. But with years of use and no reports of death or illness from pothos plants It's a staple. And a bad ass trailing vine at that .They do have 3 or 4 variety some vine more than others.

They are considered toxic due to oxailates or razor shaped cells that act as a self defense mechanism ,they are also in schefflura aka umbrella plant another popular plant for chams. But with years of use and no reports of death or illness from pothos plants It's a staple. And a bad ass trailing vine at that .They do have 3 or 4 variety some vine more than others.

Oxalates can also build up causing gout-like symptoms, kidney stones, along with binding calcium, but whether or not this happens when a chameleon eats them I'd assume is unknown. It would be a slow burn over time from the sounds of it, causing problems later down the road. I agree though, in general it seems veileds don't have problems with them and most plants have some form of 'toxicity'

Oxalates can also build up causing gout-like symptoms, kidney stones, along with binding calcium, but whether or not this happens when a chameleon eats them I'd assume is unknown. It would be a slow burn over time from the sounds of it, causing problems later down the road. I agree though, in general it seems veileds don't have problems with them and most plants have some form of 'toxicity'
Im sure Veiled dont discriminate what greens they chomp , unless it's the fresh ones you put in (from what I read, I have a juvenile panther myself he rarely goes for foliage). Maybe we can get someone to experiment by growing mustard and some collared greens in a bioactive?

@Multivitamins it is funny because Beman will only chew on his pothos. I had a dracaena in his enclosure and he would not bother with it. Also for a short period of time he had a dwarf umbrella and did not like it either. I have tried hanging all sorts of fresh veg and he could care less. He is just a pothos guy. I was really hoping he would want to eat fresh veg but that was a no go. Even when I chopped it up tiny to put in his feeder cup with his bugs. He would avoid it and leave bugs so as to not eat the Veg. He is a nut though.

Back
Top Bottom