Buying adult?

Uri

Avid Member
So I have asked a breeder and he only has adults of a species of what I’ve been looking for. The machakos hills Jackson’s chameleon. As a beginner is this a bad move? I’ve worked out the things for my enclosure to be ready for one. Should I go forward with a 1 yr old 2 month old adult?

As a beginner i would do it. The hardest part of owning a cham is baby to adult, after that its almost on cruise control. No more having to worry about congenital defects showing up during the massive weight gain phase right before adult. No more racing to get food in them, since they will be doubling in weight every 4-6 weeks. And you dont have to worry about MBD and bone warpage, since its breeder raised. And i assume its going to be shipped, and adults travel easier.

Yes worst case scenario you get a year less with the cham, but based on panther breeders, the good ones wont ship those suckers till they are 5-6 months old anyway :)

Reactions: Uri
As a beginner i would do it. The hardest part of owning a cham is baby to adult, after that its almost on cruise control. No more having to worry about congenital defects showing up during the massive weight gain phase right before adult. No more racing to get food in them, since they will be doubling in weight every 4-6 weeks. And you dont have to worry about MBD and bone warpage, since its breeder raised. And i assume its going to be shipped, and adults travel easier.

Yes worst case scenario you get a year less with the cham, but based on panther breeders, the good ones wont ship those suckers till they are 5-6 months old anyway :)
Thank you this is very reassuring

So I have asked a breeder and he only has adults of a species of what I’ve been looking for.
That sets a bell off in my head (not that there's room for one with all the useless information up there, but I digress...)

The first question that popped into my head was, "Are these WC or farmed?"
The second question was, "Is this a reputable breeder?"

1 yr old 2 month

sounds like a hatch date. Maybe it was a hold back from last season?
If it's a reputable breeder that might make sense. If not, the breeder could have pulled that number out of... his hat to sound legit. IDK.

Either way, Uri, if you decide to do this, please get a fecal exam ASAP.

That sets a bell off in my head (not that there's room for one with all the useless information up there, but I digress...)

The first question that popped into my head was, "Are these WC or farmed?"
The second question was, "Is this a reputable breeder?"

If it's a reputable breeder that might make sense. If not, the breeder could have pulled that number out of... his hat to sound legit. IDK.

Either way, Uri, if you decide to do this, please get a fecal exam ASAP.
The birth date was January 30 2020 and it’s from tk chameleons and I’ve fact checked all the info he gave me and it all seems legit so far I also talked to someone that had experience with chameleons from them also yes I will get a vet visit scheduled with a local exotic vet as soon as I get the animal I am also going to get the most recent pics to check to see if the chameleon is healthy

I tested the early versions of the Shooting Gallery on my Jackson's as TK Chameleons only had panthers at the time and wanted to try it on other species. I do jointly own some chameleons with them from the unplanned partnership mentioned above. Once the last of those sell that will be it. They are primarily panther breeders and I am into Jackson's and they don't plan to continue with them once these sell. They live a city away from me and we have been helping each other out for years, pet sitting and such. I breed and sell my own lines but also give them a hand with theirs. As I private individual I would recommend them to others. In my new role I would advise you to contact the Jackson owners here that got theirs from them. @TheLetterAfterP(Q) and @Erica1884 have litter mates from the same clutch born in early 2020.

I tested the early versions of the Shooting Gallery on my Jackson's as TK Chameleons only had panthers at the time and wanted to try it on other species. I do jointly own some chameleons with them from the unplanned partnership mentioned above. Once the last of those sell that will be it. They are primarily panther breeders and I am into Jackson's and they don't plan to continue with them once these sell. They live a city away from me and we have been helping each other out for years, pet sitting and such. I breed and sell my own lines but also give them a hand with theirs. As I private individual I would recommend them to others. In my new role I would advise you to contact the Jackson owners here that got theirs from them. @TheLetterAfterP(Q) and @Erica1884 have litter mates from the same clutch born in early 2020.
I actually spoke to him and he was very happy with his Jackson’s and how they shipped

Back
Top Bottom