Buying a older animal

Big Uli

Would you buy a 3 year old male panther chameleon?
I like his look and he is not your common locale but I may not get to enjoy him for as many years as a younger animal.
I just cant decide on what to do

Would you buy a 3 year old male panther chameleon?
I like his look and he is not your common locale but I may not get to enjoy him for as many years as a younger animal.
I just cant decide on what to do

Bit more info
He is a just over 3 year old masoala locale that according to the seller isn't interested in the ladies and therefore no use to his breeding programme. Those masoalas are truly stunning which is why I am in such a fix deciding about it

I got my panther when he was a year + old- I know not - the same as 3 years but he's so wonderful- he was from Gumtree- previous loved pet from a mum and a household full of kids,cats and dogs so as a result he is so chilled out about everything it's amazing -
I guess it depends on the animal and what you personally want from it but If it was me I'd be very happy with 4 years of having a lovely friendly animal than 7 years with one if it was difficult to handle.:)
Have you been to see him and handle him?
I have some chams that I don't handle much but it's wonderful to have such close interaction with the panther- It's like having a pet monkey- he'd climb around on you all day if he could.
As us country people say A good horse is never a bad colour- maybe a good chameleon is never too old?
Having said that- I have had my xanth from a couple of weeks old and it's nice seeing him grow up! So I'm a lot of help aren't I ! :oops::LOL:;)

I don't think 3 years is to old, but I would bring up the age when agreeing on a price...
Mostly young adults are more expensive because they have passed their most fragile stage.
I think a 4 months old panther is around 150€ here while a year old adult may go for as much as 250€ from what I've seen.

Chameleons don't go that old but with a little luck and the right care he can make it to 8 years which should give you enough time to enjoy him.
Getting an adult may be a good way to build experience too.

I wouldn't balk at the age if his health were good.

My animals are "pets" in the sense that I consider them family members rather than a collection or a hobby. I'm not saying that because I believe it's any better or somehow superior to people who breed or keep as a hobby; I say it to qualify that I get extremely emotionally attached to my animals and would have to steel myself knowing a shorter timeline with an older animal is very likely. That being said, I would spoil the heck out of him for the time I had him, regardless of how long that might be.

If he's good looking, in good health, and you are okay with the age - go for it. Aged animals of all types have a much harder time finding permanent homes.

Just as other have said - if he's healthy, go for it. You seem very fond of him, so I'm sure you'll give him the best forever home and he'll be one spoiled cham :)

@ Twitchet
No, not at all LOL

@ everyone else :)
I've contacted the seller and lets see where we go from there
Price is most certainly good for the animal and they are unusual and as an adult he will be through the worst
Any chameleon will most certainly be a pet.
I have no plans on breeding or getting any more. No room and I already have my leachies which I hope to breed eventually.
They do take a long time to mature

For what they cost I could probably get 10 chameleons if I had the room but then they are a lot cheaper to feed ;)

Back
Top Bottom