Butter worms

dodolah

Retired Moderator
a quick question:
Is butter worm can be used to help rehydrate chameleons just like silk worm or horn worms?

Thanks in advance

butterworms

I'd say so, theyre pretty juicy little guys. Really high in fat though ( but they do store water). Theyre by no means as juicy as a horn or silkworm but they do have some moisture content to them.

I got this from mulberryfarms.com

Nutritional Information
Moisture 58.54
Ash 1.04
Protein 16.20
Fat 5.21
Calories/Fat 87.73
Calcium (ml/100 grs) 42.90**

compare this to hornworms or silkworms if you can find their nutritional information....

They are high in fat, but here is a trick if you don't mind using a syringe. Add water into a syringe, then stick it in the body of the wax worm and immediately put it in front of your cham. Try to give him/her one in advance to make sure that he/she will take the worm so you don't kill one for no reason. This method has been very effective for me! (I have tried it with silk worms, seems easier with wax worms)

David

To make it easier, water in syringe, syringe in waxworm, water ejected in waxworm, fed to chameleon, chameleon HAPPY. :)

anyone know if they really are irradiated or just hard to breed? ive heard they dont get irradiated and that their dietary needs for breeding are unknown?

My understanding is that most butterworms are produced in Chile and it is a condition of importation that they be rendered unable to reproduce, ( via irradiation), so as not to jeopardize the local ecology.

i thought i read they only live on a specific bush or tree, like a silkworm lives and eats mulberrys,

Back
Top Bottom