Butt issues

Gilz

Hi, I’m Stewart and this is my 8 month old chameleon. She pooped today and I looked at her butt and saw this. I noticed this before but it was inside of her and I thought it was there naturally. This is my first chameleon that I have gotten to please inform me as much as you can. Anything helps on what you think it could be or what is causing it. Thanks in advanced.
image.jpg

That is a pretty normal occurrence, though are you positive this is a female? Can you post more pics of the entire cham, and some of just the back feet. It appears there may be a hemipenile bulge, indicating you have a male.

Well, Congrats, you have a handsome boy. The tail, coloring, and tarsal spurs on the back feet confirm it is male. What you are seeing sticking out on the "butt" is a hemipine. They will sometimes push these out when they poop. As long as they go back in there is nothing wrong with it. If, however, it does not go back in on its own, you will want to put some vaseline on it to keep it moist, and take him to see an experience reptile vet.

I also thought it was a boy originally because of the same things you mentioned but vets said otherwise I guess.

You have a very handsome male! If you'd like to get a full husbandry review, you can start a new thread and copy/paste the questions from the "how to ask for help" thread in the health forum and the members here will help you ensure your care is the most up to date with latest research and community standards. Seriously some experienced and helpful people here they helped me correct a lot of my husbandry issues early on!

And people wonder why us chameleon folk have trouble finding good chameleon vets/have faith in vets recommendations on husbandry when they can't even sex a veiled chameleon.... Smh
This all day. My old vet who had "chameleon experience" took an x-ray and told me undeveloped eggs were her kidneys. I came to find out the kidneys were nowhere near where he said they were.

Ok thanks for all of the help, I’ll put on some vaseline later have a nice day
Generally we use a water based lubricant and not Vaseline. I can’t recall the exact why of this other than we don’t want the sticky vaseline getting trapped inside where it can cause problems.
Obviously your vet needs to take a refresher course in reptiles. It’s a good thing he/she didn’t want to do surgery on your ‘eggbound female’. Your boy is quite handsome btw.

Back
Top Bottom