Burnt Yemen

Well, I learned something from this post Miss Lily! I noticed today when I took my veiled out for a sun tan...flattened body into the sun. I wondered at that point the reason behind that and then when I picked him back up, one side was dark and the other was normal color (I was actually going to research it tonight)...learn something new everyday!!

Ok the changes have been made. Thought id upload to show how i got the light higher. Fingers crossed this will correct the damage caused.

22042011898.jpg

22042011899.jpg

22042011900.jpg

langers I have followed your thread on both forums. I hate to sound rude but what is it going to take for you to man up and take that chameleon to the vet?
I have read and heard every excuse in the book as to why someone doesn't get the cham to the vet, how much longer and how much more risk are you willing to take???

I have tried to stay away from your thread on this forum, because I don't want you to think my opinion represents this forum. It doesn't, this is just me ask you to take care of your chameleon. And do it soon.

I've just read this whole thread through and IMHO your chameleon should be taken to a vet...especially since your new thread about it holding its head up.

I have never seen a chameleon show a reaction like that to the heat light as you were suggesting. If their skin changes color when it needs to warm up, it changes back to normal when it is warm enough.

If its a burn, then because its covering so much of his body I wonder if it could have caused him any damage internally. Not sure if the head holding up and wiggling could be indicative of that.

If its fungal, then to have covered so much of his body is not a good thing either. Some fungal infections like Nannizziopsis vriesii can kill a chameleon.

Whatever has caused this discoloration is something serious enough to warrant a vet visit IMHO.

Not to stir the pot, but ouch man he looks bad from your initial pic. GO to a vet, if you can’t afford to pay the entire bill upfront call you exotic vet so they can work with you. Gd luck.:(

Exactly what I've been saying from the beginning - this is definitely not normal and could potentially be very serious. Again, please take him to the vet asap.

Hi everyone.

As i said i was going to take him after the weekend. And im not trying to make excuses at all. I look after all of my pets as best i can, and since being on this forum i have organised to borrow a car as i didnt want to take him on the bus. So im a little offended tbh, sounds like you think i dont care.

Anyway even though he will be going to a vet he is actually getting better. Since being further away from the light he is getting brighter everyday. He is also now quite wrinkly and getting ready to shed.

I have also spoken to someone regarding the light and MVB can cause serious blacking of creatures that ISNT a burn! So this is very good news.

He has a nice line of yellew beginning to poke through too which is going to look nice. He is still a bit dark underneath too but i have been told the MVB can cause lower skin to darken too, but this as his current skin will go lighter too...

He has just got better and better everyday.

Pretty much about to start shedding too now. But his colour is getting much lighter and i can now confirm it was the light that caused the colour change but not through a burn :)

I'm glad he's getting better. However, for anyone else reading this, there is no evidence one way or the other that this was not a burn or a fungus. You mentioned your basking spot was 93 degrees F, which is too hot for young veileds at that age by about 10 degrees F. I am still convinced that this was not simply hyperkeratinization as a response to UVB since that is a very uncommon presentation. So uncommon that I've never even heard of it in chameleons, and others on here with much more experience than I have never seen it. Just because it says that could be an effect on the box of the bulb doesn't mean that it's an effect that is seen in this species. Just because it conveniently went away when you moved the light doesn't mean that was the cause. It's like saying people with lung cancer always have cigarette lighters in their pocket, so the cancer must have been caused by the lighter! No, it was caused by smoking, and smokers generally have lighters with them. The cause was not placed correctly. The problem with your cham may have just run its course and is now time to shed. It could be that he appears lighter because he's about the shed. They characteristically appear lighter as lymph fills under the loose skin before it's lost. Hopefully the skin underneath will be normal, but if it isn't go to the vet.

I'm sorry if you're offended by our suggestions, but we are only looking out for the best interest of your chameleon. And I would hate for anyone else reading this because their cham has a similar lesion to think it was simply a benign condition that rarely happens, if ever, and ignore it. You cannot say definitively that the UVB caused this appearance without any diagnostic testing so you cannot say that it is confirmed that this was the only cause. It's a technicality yes, but important for others to know that.

Like I said, I hope for a full recovery regardless.

I agree with you Dayna. If mine had that issue I would spaz. Even with my vast vet med knowledge and herp background. I would feel awful if he died b/c I was too cheap to go to the vet (which I am cheap, to an extent). ;)

I'm glad your little guy is doing better!

Back
Top Bottom