Burns from UVB

MegaWattz

So Skittles was until yesterday perfectly healthy. While I was downstairs working he managed to climb through the night fogger hole that I stupidly covered with only the uvb lamp hood and set himself right under the uvb. Came up to see his side covered in burns.

Took him to the ER vet and they are giving him antibiotic injection for the next 3 days and gave me a silvadine cream to apply twice daily. Just cannot beleive I have done this to this poor creature. After all the learning with my prior boy he was doing so well but I just can't seem to do everything right.

Attachments

• 20201012_114034.jpg
    20201012_114034.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 150
Some get vengeful and will adjust the mister nozzles so they point outside the cage and ruin the floor, you have been warned. But hey at least you attempted to mitigate a burn, vs installing a lamp and hoping its not too hot.

Is there anything that I should do beyond what the vet recommends as I don't know what his chamces of survival are.

I would guess with proper hydration and prevention of infection he should recover just fine.
he’s getting antibiotics and silver-impregnated cream. keep following up with your vet and monitoring your Cham.

From what I’ve read, it’s not completely understood don’t move away from heat sources causing thermal burns

with UVB, humans don’t move out of the sun prior to burning either.

Just curious... Get much drippage that way?
A bit not a lot. I have a two different setups, one has a bar with a series of holes drilled in it that lays across the top of the cage bank and it drips a little.
I have a pipe that comes up the side and then descends over the cage and it doesn't seem to drip.

Just got a pic in the burns are starting to dissipate already so hopefully it was just a light burn.
Wow, that's a look that says, "I feel awwwwful" if ever I saw one (and I've seen a few... :rolleyes: )
I think it's also the darkest chameleon I've ever seen.

Glad he's on the mend. (y)

Just like people who get a bad sunburn don't realize it and move out of the sun before it gets that bad, chameleons don't seem to realize that they are getting burned and move away,
And then there are those folks who are so damn booksmart, yet don't posses the common sense to come in from out of the rain :D

Back
Top Bottom