burn?

If anyone could let me know if this looks like a burn I would appreciate it. Also - when I measure his basking spot (for a few mins) it says ~85, but if I leave the metal piece in there for a while (hours), it heats up to 92. Really not sure what the actual measurement is and what you guys think. Thanks. (Btw, sorry for the rough picture, he is still very nervous around me and completely moves away from me any time I go near him)

Attachments

• 8EC9557A-83C3-4BC2-A1B1-0BCFC40876E9.jpeg
    8EC9557A-83C3-4BC2-A1B1-0BCFC40876E9.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 69
If anyone could let me know if this looks like a burn I would appreciate it. Also - when I measure his basking spot (for a few mins) it says ~85, but if I leave the metal piece in there for a while (hours), it heats up to 92. Really not sure what the actual measurement is and what you guys think. Thanks. (Btw, sorry for the rough picture, he is still very nervous around me and completely moves away from me any time I go near him)
What do you mean by the metal piece? You do not want basking hotter then 80 really....

I am not seeing a burn, are you talking about the spot on the side near the front arms? If so that looks like normal color.

@Beman yes that’s what I was talking about. I have the zoomed temp and humidity gauge. I’ll attach a picture and maybe it’ll make more sense. Not sure if maybe this is just garbage and I should get something else to measure the temp. I’m using a 65W bulb about a foot down which is perfect temp unless I leave that piece in there for a few hours, then instead of reading 85, it’ll read 92.

Attachments

• D6F1D193-64ED-40C0-BB6D-35DEB567A887.jpeg
    D6F1D193-64ED-40C0-BB6D-35DEB567A887.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 53
@Beman yes that’s what I was talking about. I have the zoomed temp and humidity gauge. I’ll attach a picture and maybe it’ll make more sense. Not sure if maybe this is just garbage and I should get something else to measure the temp. I’m using a 65W bulb about a foot down which is perfect temp unless I leave that piece in there for a few hours, then instead of reading 85, it’ll read 92.
Interesting. I have used one similar... Except just the one for temp rather then humidity. I never had issues with it doing that but one thing to note is depending on your enclosure and house temps your ambient temp at basking will climb a bit during the day and get hotter.

You should not have to worry about a thermal burn if you have a 12 inch drop and your only using a standard 65 watt bulb. I will say I doubt it is giving you an accurate reading at the branch though. between your distance to basking and bulb wattage. Unless your using a focused heat bulb.

@Beman okay good to know that I don’t need to worry about a burn. I think I’ll probably get a different one. I moved the branch maybe an inch lower... now it’s reading 75. Something is definitely off. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom