Burn?

Kjell Knutsen

Hi All,

This is my first post so hope I get this right!

Chameleon Info:

• Male Panther Chameleon (Ambilobe hybrid) we purchased as a juvenile in July 2020. We handle maybe 1-2 per week.
  • Feeding - crickets (7/day) or Dubias (10/d) depending what we have
  • Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus LoD dust every feeding
  • Watering - Monsoon Mister 20 seconds every 2 hours (dawn to dusk)
  • Fecal Description - solid and wet with mostly white and a touch of orange
  • History - It has recently turned cold and much less humid out so could be impacting garage conditions

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 2 x 2 x 4’, acrylic front with screen sides and top
  • Lighting - 48" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% and 6.5k Day-light from LightYourReptiles.com. 12 hour photoperiod. 50 watt halogen bulb for heat.
  • Temperature range - 65 degF floor, 75 degF mid level, 100 degF basking
  • Humidity - I don’t know
  • Plants - All live plants including porthos and some others
  • Placement - Enclosure is 2 ft off the ground in finished garage. No vets close. Some light foot foot traffic
  • Location - Houston, TX

Current Problem - We noticed 2-3 discolored patches on one side. They are yellowish white. I went back to check the basking temp and realized it was high so I thought they could be burns. Eating fine and haven’t seen him scratch at it. I’ve posted some pictures.

Would appreciate the advice!

Attachments

• 2536ACF9-94AC-4B57-B7CF-690DA0B49282.jpeg
    2536ACF9-94AC-4B57-B7CF-690DA0B49282.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 83
  • BCF095F2-B4A8-4B9A-92BB-1E483641F1FC.jpeg
    BCF095F2-B4A8-4B9A-92BB-1E483641F1FC.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 0583B1EC-3B28-4E8E-87E7-EE2F0BCCFDC5.jpeg
    0583B1EC-3B28-4E8E-87E7-EE2F0BCCFDC5.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20096169-0B78-4D84-86D8-8DE6E7609105.jpeg
    20096169-0B78-4D84-86D8-8DE6E7609105.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 91
@Kjell Knutsen Hi there welcome to the forum I will give you some feedback on your help form. Per the discolored patches I am not 100% sure. But 100 degrees for basking is far too hot but this does not look like a thermal burn. I will tag others in to look at the spots in the pics. @kinyonga @Kaizen @JacksJill Any idea what is going on with the color difference on the scales?

Chameleon Info:

• Male Panther Chameleon (Ambilobe hybrid) we purchased as a juvenile in July 2020. We handle maybe 1-2 per week.
  • Feeding - crickets (7/day) or Dubias (10/d) depending what we have.. feeding too much at this age. This needs to be reduced to 3 feeders every other day. He is already showing signs in the casque of being over weight. You will want to reduce and get this under control now. obesity in chameleons compromises organ function.
  • Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus LoD dust every feeding
  • Watering - Monsoon Mister 20 seconds every 2 hours (dawn to dusk)... This you should adjust. I know the monsoon does not give you many options but 20 seconds is not long enough to trigger a drinking response. You want this on the longest setting which I believe is 60 seconds and then you want it only to mist in the morning and the evening ideally when temps are cooler or every 6 hours. I would provide a dripper for a drinking source if urates are more then 50% orange.
  • Fecal Description - solid and wet with mostly white and a touch of orange
  • History - It has recently turned cold and much less humid out so could be impacting garage conditions

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 2 x 2 x 4’, acrylic front with screen sides and top
  • Lighting - 48" HO T5 Double Bulb fixture with Arcadia 12% and 6.5k Day-light from LightYourReptiles.com. 12 hour photoperiod. 50 watt halogen bulb for heat.
  • Temperature range - 65 degF floor, 75 degF mid level, 100 degF basking.. Basking should be no hotter then 85.
  • Humidity - I don’t know. This is an important aspect to know adding a hygrometer will be helpful. Daytime humidity should run about 50-60%.
  • Plants - All live plants including porthos and some others
  • Placement - Enclosure is 2 ft off the ground in finished garage. No vets close. Some light foot foot traffic
  • Location - Houston, TX

Current Problem - We noticed 2-3 discolored patches on one side. They are yellowish white. I went back to check the basking temp and realized it was high so I thought they could be burns. Eating fine and haven’t seen him scratch at it. I’ve posted some pictures.

Just looks like regular old pigment variation to me. People have light patches, birthmarks, moles, etc. I’m no vet, but that simply looks like he may have had a yellow body/bar in his lineage, and it’s “peaking” through. 😉

Back
Top Bottom