Bump on leg? MBD?

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon info:

My chameleon: female veiled, 1.5 - 2 yrs old, have her for 10 months now.

Handling: Often, pretty much daily, but for not that long. she has never minded being handled.

Feeding: Locusts and Waxworms used to be 7-10 a day but we recently cut her down to only a few a day. locusts are gut loaded with romaine lettuce and sometimes kale.

Supplements: Calci-Dust, dusted every other feed, Nutrobal, every week or so (Both supplements contains d3)

Watering: Misted by hand a few times a day for like 20 seconds. we have only seen her drink once but urates are white so she must be getting water somehow.

Fecal: Never been tested for parasites poop is dark brown rate is white and liquidy.

History: bought from pets at home was healthy when first bought, she sometimes free ranges in a laurel tree.

cage info

Cage type: exoterra 38 x 18 x 18 glass front and sides screen top.

Lighting: 75 watt heat bulb and uvb (threw out box so don't know type...will provide photos but i do know that the uvb is not compact and has a hood) turn off lights around 8. turn back on lights at around 730.

temp: basking spot is about 32 celsius and floor is probably 25.

humidity: around 40 - 70% due to part of day

plants: mix of fake foliage but has two live potted yucca plants.

Placement: In the back of the living room not near any vents or fans. I guess it could be considered as a high traffic area but she has never shown any stress directed to me.

current problem: I have just noticed this bump on her front left leg. she docent seem to be bothered by it but it is not on any other of her legs and it is hard.

IMG_1948.jpg IMG_1942.JPG IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

You said..."Feeding: Locusts and Waxworms used to be 7-10 a day but we recently cut her down to only a few a day. locusts are gut loaded with romaine lettuce and sometimes kale"...
Waxworks should only be for a treat...they are quite fatty. Crickets are a good feeder because they are easy to gutload and usually easy to find at pet stores and online. Silk worms, hornworms, roaches, super worms (fed not too,often) would make good additions to her diet.
I feed crickets, super worms, locusts, roaches, etc a wide variety of greens such as dandelion greens, kale, escarole, endive, collards, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc and a very small amount of fruit such as apple, pear, melon, berries. Go easy on the spinach...it binds calcium. I rarely use Cruciferous veggies too...they contain goiterenoids.

You said..."Supplements: Calci-Dust, dusted every other feed, Nutrobal, every week or so (Both supplements contains d3)"...I dust lightly at most feedings with a phos free calcium powder, twice a month lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A will not build up in the system like prEformed sources can so this leaves it up to you to decide if/when she needs some prEformed vitamin A.

As for the bump...MBD usually causes bigger bumps and around the elbow...but I'm not a vet so it's just my opinion.

This might help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Last edited:
You said..."Feeding: Locusts and Waxworms used to be 7-10 a day but we recently cut her down to only a few a day. locusts are gut loaded with romaine lettuce and sometimes kale"...
Waxworks should only be for a treat...they are quite fatty. Crickets are a good feeder because they are easy to gutload and usually easy to find at pet stores and online. Silk worms, hornworms, roaches, super worms (fed not too,often) would make good additions to her diet.
I feed crickets, super worms, locusts, roaches, etc a wide variety of greens such as dandelion greens, kale, escarole, endive, collards, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc and a very small amount of fruit such as apple, pear, melon, berries. Go easy on the spinach...it binds calcium. I rarely use Cruciferous veggies too...they contain goiterenoids.

You said..."Supplements: Calci-Dust, dusted every other feed, Nutrobal, every week or so (Both supplements contains d3)"...I dust lightly at most feedings with a phos free calcium powder, twice a month lightly with a phos free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A will not build up in the system like prEformed sources can so this leaves it up to you to decide if/when she needs some prEformed vitamin A.

As for the bump...MBD usually causes bigger bumps and around the elbow...but I'm not a vet so it's just my opinion.

This might help...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/
Sorry I forgot to include that waxworms WERE only a treat and fed only a few every other day. Sorry. I will expand the gut loading thanks. For the diet i think hornworms are GREAT especially considering we cant seem to get her drink and i ALSO forgot to include that she sometimes eats wild insects like flies, bush crickets and grasshoppers. But only rarely. Thank you for the feedback i will improve gut loads and try to find hornworms etc. as for the bombs do you have any idea what it is? I've concluded its not MBD but its not on any of her other legs and if you touch it its hard like bones. p.s. she docent seem to be bothered at all by it.

ok so hornworms are apparently illegal have any of you heard of silkwormstore? it looks good.

Last edited:
ok so hornworms are apparently illegal have any of you heard of silkwormstore? it looks good.
Check the site sponsors for silkworms. I'm not sure where you live but yes, Hornworms are an invasive species (also known as tomato worms and such). In Florida alone there are 3 varieties of hornworms.

I use mulberryfarms.com and order the silkworm eggs [500ea] and hatch them myself. It's surprisingly easy to do, just keep everything sterile. [Pro tip: use disposable everything and sterilize it; toss after each use]. I think its roughly $20+shipping gets you 500 silkworm eggs, food and an early stage container.

Option 2 is to order live silkworms in a "pod". They're more expensive but you get worms a lot sooner. I dont buy them this way cause I'm frugal. They are similar in price to the eggs. Look at Joshsfrog.com I think? Or costal silkworms.

It took my guys a while to finally eat one, but now that they have...

Good luck!

As you’re in the UK, I’ve no idea what is legal and available, but I’ve been getting some really nice silkworms and bsfl off of eBay. You could try there.

We are limited in the UK and most places don't stock a good range of feeders.

Crickets, roaches, locusts are staples that most places stock.

Calci worms, supers etc aren't stocked by many but are available.

No chance of silk or horn worms etc. here or any other roaches apart from dubias.

There are some places who will do mail order feeders here, for example https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com

Concerning the bump...keep an eye on it and if it grows or changes I'd take the chameleon to a vet.

Also..I'm not sure how much D3 is in the supplements you're using but it might be that your chameleon is getting too much and headed towards MBD. The bump could be a small indicator of this. Do your supplements contain a prEformed (palmitate, retinol, etc) source of vitamin A or a prOformed source (beta carotene) or no vitamin A?

sorry was away for a while it says it contains vitamin a but dosent seem too list palmitate, retinol, or beta carotene. it has a whole list of minerals and acids so i will attach a photo

Back
Top Bottom