bump on arm

i think i have the same problem but looks different, on my cham's left elbow or arm is a tiny bumb but it seems to be his bone, is this also do to mbd? please let me know if it is, i didnt know how to post the thing like you, im new.

I would start a new thread, answer the health forum questions, and take pictures. That way we can help you. Welcome to the forums.

soo many questions to answer, first of all i would just like to apologize if i upset anyone by what i said, i was just a bit frustrated.

-about taking him outside. i actually have done this a couple of times now but i will step it up and start taking him out a lot more.
-i noticed the bump a while ago, im not even sure when it was but i will look through the vet papers i have from when i took him in for a 50$ checkup
-there is no glass or plastic between the bulb and the screen cage, its the basic black light fixture from LLLREPTILE

-i will look for a new vet. i figured that was bad advice because i guess i just kept getting that same answer, but going to the vet is probably the smartest thing anyone can do if they have a problem like this. I cant really complain about the vet being to expensive either because i knew that before i got a chameleon. once again im sorry for acting like a fool and thanks for all the advice

update

just thought i would let you guys know that i made another appointment with my vet for wednesday. hopefully they will be able to determine if he has MBD just by looking at him or its gunna be one expensive vet visit. i know someone mentioned something about getting a calcium boost, how is this done?

usually an injection of calcium gluconate, if considered necessary by the vet.
or some oral medication.

cool thanks, what would be the best way to transport him to the vet? when i took him the first time i just put him in a box with paper towel on the bottom with a small secured vine so it didnt move around.

i dust his crickets with regular calcium every feeding and once a month i dust them with calcium with d3 + herptivite.

Calcium+D3 should be given 1-2 times a week, especially if he's primarily an indoor cham.

GL at the vet!!!

When my cham had MBD (a pretty severe case...) we did the following:

oral calcium (calciumgluconate or however it's spelled) daily.

Vitamin D3 injections weekly (you can easily do this at home once shown how)

after a few weeks to boost his calcium levels we added in calcitonin injections (prevents his bones from having MORE calcium leached from them during tx ... can't do this right away though because imp. organs like their hearts NEED calcium).

Casted his broken legs. These were changed every 2 weeks.

It took months of intensive care (he had to be put on "bed rest" so that he couldn't continue to climb and fall, break more bones, fall more etc. )

After about 3 months his legs healed and 6-9 months the bone density in his legs returned to normal.

Although bloodwork and xrays are not NEEDED to dx MBD in a case like yours (it's pretty obvious that leg is broken and he will probably always have the "double elbow" bc it will probably heal crooked) they can be helpful. One -- blood work allows you to look at his ca:phos levels to see where they are and how bad they are. It allows you to look at organ function to see if he has any other problems (and if you have good husbandry this would be suspect ... they shouldn't develop MBD for no reason). An xray allows you to check his spine and head integrity bone structure wise -- my cham had NO bone density in his extremeties (they looked like cartilage) but great spine/head density which gave us hope. It will also, if you have enough bone density to SEE his bones allow you to find more fractures and act appropriately.

Just my experiences.

cool thanks, what would be the best way to transport him to the vet? when i took him the first time i just put him in a box with paper towel on the bottom with a small secured vine so it didnt move around.

Take him to the vet in a small cage if you have one.

You can use a small cardboard box with a soft towel in the bottom of it to give the chameleon something to grip or you can use a plastic pet-pal with a ventilated lid with a towel in the bottom and you can wrap it with a towel to keep it dark too if you want to. If its cold/cool outside you might want to use a hot water bottle to keep the container/box warm....but do not put it under the container or in the container...but rather along side of it. You don't want to burn the chameleon's feet!

Jam is right about building up the calcium levels with injections until they are high enough to give the chameleon a shot of calcitonin. All of this should be done under the direction of the vet or by the vet because if you give it the calcitonin too soon the chameleon will likely die from lack of calcium in the blood that the body needs there for other functions.

Also, you should go over your lighting, supplements, gutloading, etc. to make sure things are in line so that this won't happen again.

Good luck! With proper treatment your chameleon can still live a long life.

I've always transported hermie in a shoe box with a hand towel in the bottom of it. In the winter I wrap the outside of it in a towel and put those handwarmers under the towel in the box. (and load him into a prewarmed car as quickly as possible). He's always transported fine that way. I've driven him up to 2 hours and he seems none worse for the wear upon arrival.

Back
Top Bottom