Bulge in his Jowls

Herocleasin

I noticed how Archie had a bulge in his cheeks, which made me concerned. I'll post some pictures to show you what I mean, and you guys can tell me what it looks like.

• My chameleon (Archie) is a veiled, at least 7 months old.
  • I handle my chameleon once a week (so far)
  • I feed Archie at least once a day, and I’ve fed him 4 house flies now, that’s the only food that sticks out (I also feed him crickets w/ calcium supplement more often than that)
  • I use Rep-Cal calcium supplement
  • His feces was recently dark brown with an white substrate
  • No other interesting history other than the fact that I got him from Petsmart

• Now Glass cage
  • Not sure of the brand of the lights, I can’t check right now but I’m pretty sure his basking light is only like 10 watts.
  • The humidity of his cage is a good as possible.
  • All fake plants
  • Unfortunately my cage is under an air vent, but it seems to go right over his cage (the temperature in his cage when I’m gone during the day is about 78°F and during the night about 70°F
  • North Carolina is where I’m locating, very rural countryside neighborhood.
Now with the watering I have a question as well. I mist the back of his cage, and I try to see him drink (sometimes with succession) but sometimes I don’t catching him drinking it. I try misting his face but he REALLY doesn’t like that, he frantically tries to get away. Any suggestions for what I should do?

Also I haven’t seen him shed since I got him so it might just be that.

I noticed how Archie had a bulge in his cheeks, which made me concerned. I'll post some pictures to show you what I mean, and you guys can tell me what it looks like.View attachment 237797
  • My chameleon (Archie) is a veiled, at least 7 months old.
  • I handle my chameleon once a week (so far)
  • I feed Archie at least once a day, and I’ve fed him 4 house flies now, that’s the only food that sticks out (I also feed him crickets w/ calcium supplement more often than that)
  • I use Rep-Cal calcium supplement
  • His feces was recently dark brown with an white substrate
  • No other interesting history other than the fact that I got him from Petsmart

• Now Glass cage
  • Not sure of the brand of the lights, I can’t check right now but I’m pretty sure his basking light is only like 10 watts.
  • The humidity of his cage is a good as possible.
  • All fake plants
  • Unfortunately my cage is under an air vent, but it seems to go right over his cage (the temperature in his cage when I’m gone during the day is about 78°F and during the night about 70°F
  • North Carolina is where I’m locating, very rural countryside neighborhood.
Now with the watering I have a question as well. I mist the back of his cage, and I try to see him drink (sometimes with succession) but sometimes I don’t catching him drinking it. I try misting his face but he REALLY doesn’t like that, he frantically tries to get away. Any suggestions for what I should do?

Also I haven’t seen him shed since I got him so it might just be that.
There are quite a few details we need you to expand on.... Lighting being one. Can you take a picture of the cage lights down? This way we can identify the lighting and any aspects of the cage that may pose a health risk for your cham. Also pics of whatever supplements you are using and we need a schedule for how you are giving these. How are you measuring temps and humidity? Never mist them directly. Mist their plants. You can use a little dripper so they have a constant drip on the plants to drink from.

The picture concerns me. I do not think you have a He.... cask is very very small to be a male. Mouth does not look good either. Can you take more pics of your cham that are a little clearer for us?

There are quite a few details we need you to expand on.... Lighting being one. Can you take a picture of the cage lights down? This way we can identify the lighting and any aspects of the cage that may pose a health risk for your cham. Also pics of whatever supplements you are using and we need a schedule for how you are giving these. How are you measuring temps and humidity? Never mist them directly. Mist their plants. You can use a little dripper so they have a constant drip on the plants to drink from.

The picture concerns me. I do not think you have a He.... cask is very very small to be a male. Mouth does not look good either. Can you take more pics of your cham that are a little clearer for us?

Here is his cage set up, hope those lights are clear enough to see, they're in the way back. Also there is a dripper as well.

These are the supplements I feed him, I mostly use the one to the right. I only feed him all of them at least once a week.
I too thought he was quite small for his age, but I merely disregarded it as a growing thing, should I be concerned?

Yes, hun you should be very concerned... So you are giving the National geographic calcium. It is with D3. So you are giving that at every feeding. Then the other two every week... She is getting way too much calcium with D3.

She should be getting calcium without D3 at every feeding except when you give, A multivitamin 2 times a month and then a calcium with D3 2 times a month. These two need to get rotated week to week.

She needs to see an experienced reptile Vet.

Her cask looks to be miss shaped too which is a sign of MBD. This is particularly bad when it comes to females who lay unfertilized eggs multiple times a year.

Are you using a double dome light fixture? The compact bulbs do not work well enough for chams. They have to have a T5HO light fixture with a 5.0 bulb. Without this they develop MBD and die a very painful death.

The cage really should be a screen cage. I am guessing you are getting very high humidity levels in the cage. These are not good because the cham will develop a respiratory infection. It looks as though she has a mouth infection. This may be do to a respiratory infection that has now spread.

You really need to get her to a vet and then do a total overhaul of her environment. If this does not happen she will not make it.

Back
Top Bottom