building cage

fusionf5

Ok so I wanna build a new cage and was wondering what can I use on the wood so I don't create mold or ruin it?

I used linoleum and caulking on the bottom. The sides probably wont get too wet, but a polyurethane coat over the whole cage wouldn't hurt anything. Just keep in mind, it will need to cure before you should put your cham in and if it starts chewing on the cage you might have some problems.

Im not sure on the toxicity, but rustoleum just came out with a clear coat made of latex which might be a safer choice, plus you can buy it in spray or bucket form. I haven't used the spray, but just used the stuff in the bucket for a recent project and its working great!

I used pvc pipe on one of my cages and it wasnt the strongest thing in the world but it worked. Being made for water and already having the pipes ran a few drilled holes means drippers and misters. Just an idea :D

I thought about pvc but not sure about it. I mean it could never rust or anything. And thanks for all the other help. Id rather just paint something on the wood since wood looks better. Can you send me a pic of the pvc cage just so I can see

When I recently built mine of wood, I sealed it with 2 coats of poly,(Thompsons I think). I then sealed all seams and corners with aquarium sealant, you can buy it in a big enough tube to use with caulking gun. Glued down stick down vinyl tile on solid wood back, and bottom of cage, using bathroom caulking. It is working great, see my previous thread for pictures. It is really fun to build your own.

Hey Fusion!I ve been building chameleon enclosures for about 13 years,first i use a 120 grind sand paper and sand the all cage to perfection.2nd i like to add a nice color to my wood,i apply 1 or 2 coats of stain depending on the color,i use a WATERBASED stain(Saman waterbased wood stain)its none toxic to chameleons and its easy to use.3rd to protected my wood,i apply 3 coats of a EXTERIOR WATERBASED CLEAR(Varathane outdoor crystal clear water borne diamond wood finish)with IPN(interpenetrating polymer network technology)this crystal clear finish is designed to provide maximum protection against the sun,water,weather and chemical damages.If you want a super nice finish just slightly sand by hand with a 220 grind sand paper between each coats of clear to remove all the inperfections.......I hope my grammar is o.k,english is my second laguage.

Back
Top Bottom