Building an enclosure

Booty

Hi please can anyone help my daughter has been asking us for chameleon and i was wondering if i should make her an enclosure for it or buy one. We still have not got her a chameleon yet but its on the list. Does anybody have any drawings or plans to build one or any advice on buying one we live in the UK so this may be a problem with good supplier any help would be grateful.

If you are handy and creative you can build one. Otherwise, it's just easier and typically cheaper to just buy one

You can find cages that are really good for about the same or really close to building your own so I just suggest buying one. I have done both but there is a lot to think about when building a cage, especially if you build it out of wood, but I enjoyed being able to customize my cage. In the end though I got the one from LLL reptile since it was on sale and they are great cages. When I did build mine it ended up being more then the LLL cage set me back so just get a good estimate if you decide to build one because it might not be worth it unless you want to :).

i'd buy one.

Unless you feel like building something or like to do that sort of thing, i'd also suggest you just buy one. I built my own, and though I am proud of it and had fun doing it. I could have bought one for as much as I spent in materials for it.

I'm a UK keeper

And i'm sorry to say that I build all of my own cages. There just isn't a market over here for the larger cages and certainly not well ventillated ones as most chameleons require. I once got a quote for a custom built enclosure on a UK forum but for the price he quoted I built 3 seperate enclosures and kitted them out with electrics. You could buy a smaller enclosure for hatchlings (eg one of the exo terras) but this will eventually need to be upgraded and the problem of finding larger enclosures is going rear its head again so for me its BUILD every time!! :D

Thanks so much for all your help but the guy in UK is right there is no market over here but i would still like to know as this would be our first Chameleon how difficult are they to keep and could anyone give me some advise on them my daughter really wants one but i need to know if its to difficult for her
Thanks for all your help
Colin :):)

Back
Top Bottom