building a cage...need suggestions

katkat669

Ok, I have a 6 month old nosey bee panther named Marty Feldman. Currently he is in a cage that I built that is 24'' W x 24'' T x 12'' D. I can see that he has very well outgrown his old cage. He is about 6'' from the base of his tail to his nose. The new cage i am planning on building will be 30'' W x 48'' T x 18'' D. I am hoping to use this cage also for him when he is fully grown. Is this an appropriate size? Will this be big enough for him when he is fully grown? Also what type of UV fixture/bulb would you suggest for a cage this size? And what wattage basking bulb would be sufficient? I have already purchased plenty of grapevines, vines, bamboo, hanging plants (artificial), a living ficus and a dwarf umbrella plant. If you have any further suggestions on the plants or anything else that I could do to make Marty's new environment more enjoyable please let me know. Thank you. :) :D

(My avatar pic is of Marty at age 3 months)

lol cute name. That cage is a good size and i would use the reptisun 5.0 and a 60 watt basking bulb. Just make sure you have branches that go to the top since the UV effect is less down towards the bottom and so is the heat. Make sure if you use a vinyl or plastic screen use a metal screen on top because the basking bulb will melt the plastic.

ChameleonsTree said:
Make sure if you use a vinyl or plastic screen use a metal screen on top because the basking bulb will melt the plastic.

I have plastic screen on top. So far, no melt..

Heika

As for the plastic screen....the screen I was using on Marty's old cage was plastic coated fiberglass. I had no problems with it melting. So I think I will just use that again.

Back
Top Bottom