Building 16’ of outdoor enclosures

Unfortunately, I had to take a few weeks off between work, a sick Chamaeleon, and a heat wave. But we are back at it this weekend! Today we started screening one of the enclosures with quarter inch vinyl coated wire mesh. We still have to do the sides and doors tomorrow.

(I know my lawn is whack… Too much rain and a heat wave this week!)
View attachment 327532

The staple gun is worth it’s weight in gold. The project went so much faster, and without hand cramps like the manual staplers! I bought it specifically for this project, but know that we will get plenty of use out of it around the house.
View attachment 327533

It is still surprisingly difficult to find lumber. Today we headed back to the hardware store to get a few more two by fours, as well as treated two by twos. No 2x2x8 to be found so I had to buy deck banisters in odd lengths. A little more costly but its all we could find (for the doors). The wire mesh came from Amazon on a 100’ roll. Its add substantial weight to the enclosures… gonna be fun trying to hoist them back into place. o_O
What does this mean, too much rain? (From CA)

What does this mean, too much rain? (From CA)
I’m sorry for your situation. It seems on the East Coast we are having the opposite with very heavy rains and flash flooding. Thankfully, not the kind of flooding where people lose their homes, but lots of dangerous Highwinds and lightning and conditions that are just not conducive to lawn mowing!

I’m sorry for your situation. It seems on the East Coast we are having the opposite with very heavy rains and flash flooding. Thankfully, not the kind of flooding where people lose their homes, but lots of dangerous Highwinds and lightning and conditions that are just not conducive to lawn mowing!
Never a happy medium, is it? We have not seen a drop since maybe early Jan? And the heat...needless to say the chams are not getting any outdoor time except maybe a half hour in early AM. I think your lawn is GORGEOUS, it's green!

def need to shadecloth the end and possibly back… as my neighbors eagle plaque scares the crap out of Walter. The others dont care but Walter can spot that thing from any angle or distance!

FEF08ECC-DFA5-4F94-8404-6452801B277A.jpeg

Never a happy medium, is it? We have not seen a drop since maybe early Jan? And the heat...needless to say the chams are not getting any outdoor time except maybe a half hour in early AM. I think your lawn is GORGEOUS, it's green!
I cant imagine no rain in 8 months!! What part of CA? Is that somewhat typical (long draughts) or a new phenomena in recent years?

Very late with updates - better photos will have to wait for the garden to be thinned out. Its really exploded in the last month, but is starting to slow down.

We screened, divided, shadeclothed, and added doors to the enclosure. Still some work to do finishing the shade cloth and trimming it out - but for now, its functional for 3 chams out of the desired 5.

We had issues with the 2x2 doors racking and not staying square. John built cross braces which help. Overtime the wood will swell and shrink and dry into place.

DE62DAEA-9FD4-4D76-A167-59C9EC207CED.jpeg 80B8C45F-6734-451A-B56A-55855805B2AF.jpeg
6469D6BD-98B9-4E7E-BC68-27A5263F58C4.jpeg 6A65BEF5-1317-42A4-8886-89958B444B4E.jpeg 3FC40E5E-B181-494B-BD54-AADD53D97F4E.jpeg

The crew is loving all this extra outside time! Wish we had a few more weeks of summer, but already dipping into the 40s!

I noticed Penne’s tail is bruised at the tip. I think she stuck the tip out through the 1/4” screen and a bird pecked it. Its getting color back and she has use of it, so just a bruise I think. Wishing I could have found 1/8th coated mesh instead of 1/4. Thats bothered me since day 1 and now its really bothering me! I may line the inside with shade cloth but that comes with its own considerations. To be continued…

AA36CD14-E22B-41A8-8EEB-BEC622EF079E.jpeg 8AD28124-EF0D-4384-91FC-A804553E4B5C.jpeg

I love this thread and hope to do something similar one day. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Brad!! I've really enjoyed the process, and all parties involved are super happy with the outdoor ranges. It's lovely to sit outside on a nice day and watch them enjoy their views.

I especially love having these guys outside during rain storms. If there are really bad storms on the horizon with damaging winds or hail, I will bring them inside. If its just a thunderstorm or heavy rain- they stay out. What is interesting, to me at least, is how they buckle down to bed when the wind picks up and a storm is moving in. It could be 1pm in the afternoon, but if it starts getting windy and storm, they curl up tight on their branch and close their eyes until its passed. Sometimes they will drink while their eyes are closed. If it is a milder rain, they just happily go about their day and just gulp up the good stuff all day long.

I've cut supplements down to only light calcium w/ dubia, and MV 1x a month while they are outside. Zero added D3 for those spending time outside. They are watered either by rain, or by hose, until they seem to have their fill. I feel its especially important to let them drink as much as possible while outside. Their sheds have been great, their body composition is great, they seem to be healthy and happy. My only regret is that they must come in for fall and winter! Since their trees are native oaks, the trees and enclosures are totally usable during mild winter days - they just won't have foliage. Still thinking about how I want to address that - shall I go with plastic plants during that time, or just leave them bare? In winter, they wouldn't be outside very long, but they'd still appreciate the cover.

Back
Top Bottom