Build debate!! who's right, me or my wife?

pocoray

SO we are doing a diy enclosure and i thought me and partner were on the same wavelength with the ventilation.
As it was a VIV made for a snake or a lizard ( few vent holes at the hope and a few random bits) I want to take 2 pieces out the sides and add meshing to them to add extra ventilation as the doors are glass, where as my other half just wants to add more normal wholes (vent sizes) at the back and sides.
I will add pictures of what we are both explaining.

dimensions H4.1ft W2.4ft D20 inches

Can you add your pictures if you have also upcycled your enclosure.

What are you arguments about it and what have you found to be the best way?
Mine is the left and hers is the right,

Thanks in advance <3

Attachments

• 20220122_001629 (1).jpg
    20220122_001629 (1).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220122_030041.jpg
    20220122_030041.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 63
Much depends on the species and what your humidity levels are where you live. However, if not screening in the sides or door, it would be best to have the ventilation holes in the lower third of the enclosure to provide a chimney effect ventilation. If you look at some of the commercial glass tanks like Exo Terra, you’ll see the ventilation strip just below the door (it’s the black plastic strip).
Veileds ideal daytime humidity range is between 30-50%, while for panthers it’s between 50-70%. If your home is on the humid side and you are getting a veiled, it would be better to screen the sides.

Much depends on the species and what your humidity levels are where you live. However, if not screening in the sides or door, it would be best to have the ventilation holes in the lower third of the enclosure to provide a chimney effect ventilation. If you look at some of the commercial glass tanks like Exo Terra, you’ll see the ventilation strip just below the door (it’s the black plastic strip).
Veileds ideal daytime humidity range is between 30-50%, while for panthers it’s between 50-70%. If your home is on the humid side and you are getting a veiled, it would be better to screen the sides.
I was thinking of adding vents at the bottom also for that reason :D were taking alot of time and planning into the set up so its fool proof, saying that were a harzard with power tools haha

That's what I tried to tell them in the other thread. (As low as possible above substrate/floor)
Dragon Strand & Zen Habitats also have their ventilation vents at the front bottom to create stack (chimney) effect.

They're in the UK, and it is humid, but I don't see how side ventilation is superior. There's no way to control airflow or direction.

In a stack, the moist air will be drawn through the bottom, then warmed as it rises, which will lower the RH as it approaches the top of the enclosure and exits. With open sides, there can be more airflow than the basking bulb can warm and reduce humidity.

Chameleon Academy seems to agree.
A significant segment of the community holds to the thought that chameleons need screen cages or they will die. This is simply not true. In fact, in most cases, a hybrid cage is more appropriate. A hybrid cage has mostly solid sides with special vents or screen panel configuration to encourage airflow. The truth is that the closer your ambient conditions are to what your chameleon needs, the more screen sides you’ll want on the cage. The more you have to change the ambient environment, the more solid sides you’ll have to incorporate.
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-type-screen-hybrid-and-glass/
This reinforces what I'm saying. Looking at the UK RH data above, ambient conditions are going to be too humid for a veiled during the day, so solid (unvented) sides are indicated.

That's what I tried to tell them in the other thread. (As low as possible above substrate/floor)
Dragon Strand & Zen Habitats also have their ventilation vents at the front bottom to create stack (chimney) effect.

They're in the UK, and it is humid, but I don't see how side ventilation is superior. There's no way to control airflow or direction.

In a stack, the moist air will be drawn through the bottom, then warmed as it rises, which will lower the RH as it approaches the top of the enclosure and exits. With open sides, there can be more airflow than the basking bulb can warm and reduce humidity.

Chameleon Academy seems to agree.

This reinforces what I'm saying. Looking at the UK RH data above, ambient conditions are going to be too humid for a veiled during the day, so solid (unvented) sides are indicated.

Please read my comment on other thread.

Also if you look at the time this was posted you will see it was quite some time ago, and as i have said on my other thread we are constantly changing ideas and researching. So before mansplaining, youll do well to remember what has been said previous. Also as you've pointed out yes i live in the UK so i know the humidity I also know on how dry during summers it can be, how dry our house can sometimes be in the winter as we have a wood burner in the other room, so im trying to cater for both aspects.
Im trying to make sure i have every aspect sorted as like i said in my other thread i have anxiety which makes you think of every possible scenario that could possibly happen or go wrong. so im already planning on making sure the wrong doesnt happen as best i can.

SO we are doing a diy enclosure and i thought me and partner were on the same wavelength with the ventilation.
As it was a VIV made for a snake or a lizard ( few vent holes at the hope and a few random bits) I want to take 2 pieces out the sides and add meshing to them to add extra ventilation as the doors are glass, where as my other half just wants to add more normal wholes (vent sizes) at the back and sides.
I will add pictures of what we are both explaining.

dimensions H4.1ft W2.4ft D20 inches

Can you add your pictures if you have also upcycled your enclosure.

What are you arguments about it and what have you found to be the best way?
Mine is the left and hers is the right,

Thanks in advance <3

For new readers, as this was posted quite some time ago (We've yet to sleep as weve been binge learning ), we have moved vastly on from the two ideas :D But if this post helps other people learn or even just something that sparks them to do some research the post isnt a complete waste ( as i would delete if I could due to it not been needed anymore haha)

Thank you to everyone whos read or commented :D <3

Back
Top Bottom