Bug Hunting Suggestions?

seanUTD

I live in in the Lone Star TEXAS (Go Mavs) and I am going to the park tomorrow to walk the trails and was wondering if anyone had any bug catching suggestions so I could give Stanley and Herbie some extra treats... I caught two moths and a katydid tonight but I'm looking for much more than that so any takers? Any tips?

If you see a grassy area walk through it and make disturbances to bring out grasshoppers/katydids out of hiding. You could also do a field sweep with a large butterfly net.

Hi, if it was me I wouldn't go out and catch any bugs from outside, as you don't know what pesticides the bugs have ingested, buy the bugs from the shops it's safer.

Hi, if it was me I wouldn't go out and catch any bugs from outside, as you don't know what pesticides the bugs have ingested, buy the bugs from the shops it's safer.

I beg to diagree go out to a meadow/ field with as said.A butterfly net, these insects you catch are far better than you will buy from petstore. They will have all the natural vits etc. Pesticides are not used that much these days. Just stop by the side of a road anywhere the grasshoppers millions are ready to catch :)

I lift up bark on the ground, where it is moist with soil and usually find pill bugs which my chameleons love, and some other creepy crawlies :D

In richardson we have this creek. Its by a place called owens farm. Its called lookout park. Its like a forest there.
Dragon flies, grasshopers, mayflies, katydids, ladybugs, worms, lizards, crickets, moths... If you want the directions let me know. :)
(They dont use pesticides :)

In richardson we have this creek. Its by a place called owens farm. Its called lookout park. Its like a forest there.
Dragon flies, grasshopers, mayflies, katydids, ladybugs, worms, lizards, crickets, moths... If you want the directions let me know. :)
(They dont use pesticides :)

Actually I would LOVE to go to this park thank you SO much for letting me know the name... lol I spent ALL last night trying to find a good park in Richardson!

I lift up bark on the ground, where it is moist with soil and usually find pill bugs which my chameleons love, and some other creepy crawlies :D

And I actually have a MASSIVE pillbug colony that Im trying to clear the systems of (feeding off second and third gens only) because of all the no-no stuff in them but soon I hope to be ready to feed them off!

Please don't feed off pill bugs. If you want to feed them to your chameleons try culturing them, but being that pillbugs are bio accumulators wild pillbugs usually carry heavy metals that are harmful to your chameleon. I would say no more than 5 wild pillbugs in a chameleons life time. Pill bugs are super easy to culture, shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

I am culturing them... So far I haven't fed a single WC pill bug to date... I am purifying them by raising them to several generations past when they were colonized and only feeding them cricket gut load, carrots, mulberry leaves (from personal trees), and bark from personal trees... I had heard about the heavy metals and put that into thought before I chose these guys as a feeder... Im also hoping to use them as cage cleaners in the plant pots under the stones (They eat all matter that isn't wanted in the cage):)

Please don't feed off pill bugs. If you want to feed them to your chameleons try culturing them, but being that pillbugs are bio accumulators wild pillbugs usually carry heavy metals that are harmful to your chameleon. I would say no more than 5 wild pillbugs in a chameleons life time. Pill bugs are super easy to culture, shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

I have fed off only 2 to one and 3 to the other :) I have been saving them all, I will definitely pm you for culture suggestions this is a new project for me and I am super excited about it :D

ive been doing something to same effect with pill bugs, but how can i successfully colonize these lil guys? my cham "JP" goes nuts over them!:D

When you say colo9nize do you mean keep breeding until they are purely captive bred with no wild in them?

When you say colo9nize do you mean keep breeding until they are purely captive bred with no wild in them?

Im almost certain thats what it means... If not I have no idea in hell what i've been doing lol... What IM personally doing is just that... clearing the blood or all heavy metals by controlling everything... food, humidity, soil, hiding spots,etc. In hopes that in a few generations I'll be able to feed some off as treats.

Back
Top Bottom