Bug Farm

NERVOUS

Avid Member
Back when I decided to get a Chameleon, I had absolutely no idea I'd also be getting into bugs... In a pretty big way too! Here are a couple of photos of what I can only describe as my 'accidental' Bug Farm. :eek:

This is a side profile of the Bug Farm:

This is a close-up of the Dubia enclosure:

This is a close-up of the Lobster enclosure:

This is a close-up of the (soon-to-be) Green Banana enclosure:

Each enclosure has a heat pad underneath and a suspended heat lamp above. The heat lamps all have non-luminous ceramic heating elements... You know, because bugs don't like light! :rolleyes:

I'm using a Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R to control heat for all the enclosures.

I also custom-made individual screen tops for each enclosure. I wanted to ensure adequate ventilation for each enclosure, but just wasn't convinced the screen covered ventilation holes most people use wouldn't eventually fail over the long-term. I also line the top of each enclosure with a 2" smear of Vaseline to keep any climbers from reaching the top.

NOTE: Making screens is NOT for the faint of heart or for the less than absolutely committed. It's a very frustrating process; especially if you use aluminum screen like I did.

Anyways, each bin is filled with egg crates. I place compartmentalized food dishes on top of the egg crates that hold the following:
- Dry gut load
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Water crystals

I like this setup because it simplifies feeding by keeping the food dishes on top where they're easily accessible (by me), but I do wonder if this is an ideal configuration; especially for the smaller roaches which might have a hard time getting to the food and water crystals... Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I have one Chameleon... So, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with all the feeders I expect to have soon. This all started because I read somewhere that providing a variety of feeders is good for your Chameleon! :ROFLMAO:

For the roaches, I wouldn't worry too much about the chow on the top, as the nymphs/little ones eat the frass. Once they are big enough they will make the journey to the top to eat what you have provided. Great set up, I may adjust my colony to mimic yours.

For the roaches, I wouldn't worry too much about the chow on the top, as the nymphs/little ones eat the frass. Once they are big enough they will make the journey to the top to eat what you have provided. Great set up, I may adjust my colony to mimic yours.

Great point... Thanks! (y)

Oh Grasshopper, come join me in the joy of raising bugs.....

CHEERS!

Nick

@nick barta - You are partially to blame here my friend. You and my buddy @Matt Vanilla Gorilla are co-conspirators in steering me down this path! :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note, that empty bin has "Green Banana" written all over it. As soon as I figure out how to reliably provide adequate humidity for them I'll be placing my order! (y)

Hey NERVOUS,
I know what you mean, I currently am breeding superworms, Mealworms, silkworms, Stickbugs, and have to feed calciworms, hornworms, butterworms, waxworms , green banana roaches , dubia roaches and of course crickets. I have feeder containers stacked right next to my Chams. You are a biology student now haha
Dave

@nick barta - You are partially to blame here my friend. You and my buddy @Matt Vanilla Gorilla are co-conspirators in steering me down this path! :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note, that empty bin has "Green Banana" written all over it. As soon as I figure out how to reliably provide adequate humidity for them I'll be placing my order! (y)

Humidity is easy: i use coco fiber, 32 ounces of water poured in every week or every other week.

CHEERS!

Nick

I understand that a two inch thick layer of moistened coconut fiber will do the job as far as moisture/humidity goes. Anybody else who knows more, please, your help and feedback is welcome and much appreciated!

When I had green bananas, I mixed water crystals into my coco fiber. It really helped retain much more moisture.

Deb

Just out of curiousity, was there any particular reason you decided to get rid of your Green Banana Roaches?

Just out of curiousity, was there any particular reason you decided to get rid of your Green Banana Roaches?

I sold my colony last summer. My panther, blind in one eye, could no longer catch them and my Melleri never showed any interest. That being said, I loved keeping them! I found them very easy - no noise, no smell, prolific breeders! Also, no fear of infestation - they dry out within days if they are out of their humid environment. Plus, they are really cute!

Deb

I sold my colony last summer. My panther, blind in one eye, could no longer catch them and my Melleri never showed any interest. That being said, I loved keeping them! I found them very easy - no noise, no smell, prolific breeders! Also, no fear of infestation - they dry out within days if they are out of their humid environment. Plus, they are really cute!

Deb

Great feedback... Thanks for sharing! (y)

Back when I decided to get a Chameleon, I had absolutely no idea I'd also be getting into bugs... In a pretty big way too! Here are a couple of photos of what I can only describe as my 'accidental' Bug Farm. :eek:

This is a side profile of the Bug Farm:

This is a close-up of the Dubia enclosure:

This is a close-up of the Lobster enclosure:

This is a close-up of the (soon-to-be) Green Banana enclosure:

Each enclosure has a heat pad underneath and a suspended heat lamp above. The heat lamps all have non-luminous ceramic heating elements... You know, because bugs don't like light! :rolleyes:

I'm using a Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R to control heat for all the enclosures.

I also custom-made individual screen tops for each enclosure. I wanted to ensure adequate ventilation for each enclosure, but just wasn't convinced the screen covered ventilation holes most people use wouldn't eventually fail over the long-term. I also line the top of each enclosure with a 2" smear of Vaseline to keep any climbers from reaching the top.

NOTE: Making screens is NOT for the faint of heart or for the less than absolutely committed. It's a very frustrating process; especially if you use aluminum screen like I did.

Anyways, each bin is filled with egg crates. I place compartmentalized food dishes on top of the egg crates that hold the following:
- Dry gut load
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Water crystals

I like this setup because it simplifies feeding by keeping the food dishes on top where they're easily accessible (by me), but I do wonder if this is an ideal configuration; especially for the smaller roaches which might have a hard time getting to the food and water crystals... Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I have one Chameleon... So, I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with all the feeders I expect to have soon. This all started because I read somewhere that providing a variety of feeders is good for your Chameleon! :ROFLMAO:
LOL one chameleon!

Deb
Oh Deb, "really cute" puts you beyond being a bug keeper.....

CHEERS!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom