Bug burger?

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi, I've been gut loading with a variety of fruits and vegetables, plus a dry gut load I make myself from recipes I've found here on sandrachameleons blog. The bugs are all doing well.

My issue is that I'm going on vacation next month and my daughter (19) will be taking care of the animals and bugs. I don't think she'll be able to keep up with my current routine, it's a lot of work, so I was thinking I'd just cook up a bunch of Repashy bug burger that she can use for gut loading everyone while I'm gone.

I ordered a big jar of it from amazon, cooked some up following directions exactly, and it set up perfectly. I wanted to test it out so I put slices of it in all my bug containers (except silk and horn worms since they get their special food). The BSFL like it OK but the crickets, superworms, and dubia are all ignoring it. I've read bugs love this stuff so not sure what I'm doing wrong? Any ideas or suggestions on how to get my bugs to eat it. I still have my other gut loads in too, does that matter? Do they only eat it if it's the only thing available?

Hi, I've been gut loading with a variety of fruits and vegetables, plus a dry gut load I make myself from recipes I've found here on sandrachameleons blog. The bugs are all doing well.

My issue is that I'm going on vacation next month and my daughter (19) will be taking care of the animals and bugs. I don't think she'll be able to keep up with my current routine, it's a lot of work, so I was thinking I'd just cook up a bunch of Repashy bug burger that she can use for gut loading everyone while I'm gone.

I ordered a big jar of it from amazon, cooked some up following directions exactly, and it set up perfectly. I wanted to test it out so I put slices of it in all my bug containers (except silk and horn worms since they get their special food). The BSFL like it OK but the crickets, superworms, and dubia are all ignoring it. I've read bugs love this stuff so not sure what I'm doing wrong? Any ideas or suggestions on how to get my bugs to eat it. I still have my other gut loads in too, does that matter? Do they only eat it if it's the only thing available?
I've found exactly the same thing. Crickets and calci's love it, locust and dubia don't touch it.

As I've always used fresh for my gutload until only recently trying out BB, I don't know if any others are going to be different.

I would love to know if there's a gutload that all the feeders really go for?

I would take out your other gutload and see what happens when their only option is the bug burger. I got some but I have not tried it out yet. I use Arcadia insect fuel for gutloading everything except silks and horns.

yea experiment around and find out what may be best for your daughter, its better to leave her comfortable and simple than uncomfortable and risk her accidentally skipping a step

@Rst_Cham where are you going on vacation?
We're going to the Florida Keys, Everglades, Biscayne, and Dry Tortugas National parks (visiting all 59 National parks is my bucket list. These will be 16-18 for me.)

The bugs seem to like the bug burger powder more dry so I'm putting that in, plus I put lots of veggies, fruits, etc through the food processor and made 70 frozen cubes of wet gut load. I'll also leave bags of orange slices and carrots too.

I got a twenty gallon tub for my mist king and filled it with RO water, plus am leaving gallon jugs of distilled water for refilling the nighttime fogger.

Everything is on thermostats and timers. Everything is labeled and there's a checklist for each day. I've showed her how to do it all, but I'm stressed to be leaving everything in her care. She assured me she'll take care of everybody. I hope so! Between a room full of bugs, six frogs, four chickens, a cat, and a chameleon, it's a lot. I'm paying her $100 as incentive to do a good job.

I use cricket crack and bug burger for my feeders and the crickets swarm the burger. For my bug burger I do 2 scoops burger with 1 scoop superload and 9 scoops water. They may want it more for the moisture but either way they kill it quick.

We're going to the Florida Keys, Everglades, Biscayne, and Dry Tortugas National parks (visiting all 59 National parks is my bucket list. These will be 16-18 for me.)

The bugs seem to like the bug burger powder more dry so I'm putting that in, plus I put lots of veggies, fruits, etc through the food processor and made 70 frozen cubes of wet gut load. I'll also leave bags of orange slices and carrots too.

I got a twenty gallon tub for my mist king and filled it with RO water, plus am leaving gallon jugs of distilled water for refilling the nighttime fogger.

Everything is on thermostats and timers. Everything is labeled and there's a checklist for each day. I've showed her how to do it all, but I'm stressed to be leaving everything in her care. She assured me she'll take care of everybody. I hope so! Between a room full of bugs, six frogs, four chickens, a cat, and a chameleon, it's a lot. I'm paying her $100 as incentive to do a good job.
That is awesome! I am sure since she knows how important it is to you she will do a good job. You have thought out everything and simplified it for her. How long will you actually be gone?

wow, have fun in florida!!! I'm glad you have everything sorted out with her!!! I'm sure she will do a great job, especially now that everything is a little more simple!!

That is awesome! I am sure since she knows how important it is to you she will do a good job. You have thought out everything and simplified it for her. How long will you actually be gone?
We're going for nine days. Yikes!

Bug burger (bb) is a good insect feed and a decent gut load. Repashy makes a product called ‘superload’ (sl), which is a very good (low maintenance) gut load. Personally, I find crickets, dubias, hornworms and supers all eat both bburger and superload. Silkies, obviously not; mealies, shouldn’t be feeding them anyways; and waxies and butters shouldn’t be part of a regular feeding regime, so your Cham can for sure go a month without.

A previous poster advised to remove all other gut loads/water sources out of your feeders’ bin, then give nothing but bb or sl. That’s a good idea! They’ll eat it...I swear.

Bug burger (bb) is a good insect feed and a decent gut load. Repashy makes a product called ‘superload’ (sl), which is a very good (low maintenance) gut load. Personally, I find crickets, dubias, hornworms and supers all eat both bburger and superload. Silkies, obviously not; mealies, shouldn’t be feeding them anyways; and waxies and butters shouldn’t be part of a regular feeding regime, so your Cham can for sure go a month without.

A previous poster advised to remove all other gut loads/water sources out of your feeders’ bin, then give nothing but bb or sl. That’s a good idea! They’ll eat it...I swear.

OK, I'll give that a try! Thank you guys!

Back
Top Bottom