Buffalo Worms Allright for daily feeding?

MGM

Hi! I just got my cute 4m old panther boy (thanks to this forum im sure its a boy:) ) a week a go.

He doesn't really eat much crickets (like 2 or 3 a day) but he loooooves the Buffalo Worms I hand feed him. (Also nice for the bonding process cause he hate's me right now ;) )

I looked up the nutricial values of the worms and they al not that different from crickets (fat/protein). Is it ok to feed him this little creatures every day and try some other worms (super/silk) or should I try to make him eat more crickets?

Thanks so much!

They are not very close to crickets. They are mostly chitin . You are thinking the percentages, but to feed enough of those you'd be giving way too much chitin. Small superworms would be better. Mealworms/buffalo worms don't have much place in feeding schedules. Others have said it's very similar to feeding your animal finger nails.

Reactions: MGM
They are not very close to crickets. They are mostly chitin . You are thinking the percentages, but to feed enough of those you'd be giving way too much chitin. Small superworms would be better. Mealworms/buffalo worms don't have much place in feeding schedules. Others have said it's very similar to feeding your animal finger nails.

Thanks! So i'll better stop feeding these worms all together? I'll get some superworms! And maybe keep trying the crickets?

superworms are really high in phosphorus, and also have a high level of chitin.. maybe you should try phoenix worm, silk worms if you have a bit of extra cash? nice feeder high rate of calcium

@Mawtyplant Yeah I'm not a big fan of superworms either, plus chams get addicted to them, but some here insist on feeding them and see them fit as a staple so I figure the best advice I can give is say to use them sparingly as an alternative to mealworms. Many people don't want to offer anything outside of what their pet store provides :/

Go to lindasgonebuggie.com and order small Super Worms, Black Soldier Fly larvae, silk worms, and wax worms, which will all be small enough.

CHEERS!

Nick

Thanks so much everyone. I'll try the crickets again for a while without anything else to get him to eat those (the more worms the less crickets I already found out:) )
I gutload and powder the crickets almost better than I feed myself;) and have a lot of them.

Superworms they have at a reptile shop nearby (netherlands) and silk worms are a bit more diffucult to find here but found them online. But im afraid they are to big still. (Tried to feed him a very small caterpillar and he looked at it like it was a monster;) )

I'll also look into Phoenix and wax worms!
Roaches are the only no go here (it's silly I know) and maybe some woodlouse I think they are called? (We call them pissebed here which literally means bed full of piss or bedwetter haha)

Thanks!

I wouldn't feed any more than 3-4 waxworms a month. They get addicted easily to them. Your panther should be able to eat silkworms. Go by the width not the length.

I wouldn't feed any more than 3-4 waxworms a month. They get addicted easily to them. Your panther should be able to eat silkworms. Go by the width not the length.
I was just reading about them, the heroin of chams;), thanks. I'll stick to te crickets and try to add some silkworms and occasional other bugs when this goes well.

When they don't want to eat what you've made for dinner they don't get to eat at all, specially not dessert. Simple as that.

No, for real though. I've found one of the best ways to break a hunger/prey strike is to call the bluff. They won't starve in 5 days or even a week. Not to say you shouldn't offer a good variety but there are very few excuses to let them get away with not eating crickets. They're a staple along with roaches, soldier flies and supers, all of which come small enough for pretty much any age panther or veiled.

@jamest0o0 give supers SOME credit lol they gut load really really well.

Back
Top Bottom