BUDGET BIOACTIVE

Curlytails

Established Member
so im on a budget and im looking for supplies that i need. Lights substrate plants etc. Thanks in advance.

I don't know exactly what your budget is but for probably anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks you could build a box (any type of wood will work, plywood is cheap and will do the job) roughly the size of dimensions of the bottom section of your enclosure. Then, buy some pond liner and simply staple it to the box. Use a hole saw with any reasonable size diameter (I use 1 1/2 inches) and get a bulk head WITH an O ring to not allow water to escape. Obviously if you're going to have a drainage system make sure to buy a bucket. ;)
Now, when it comes to soil drainage you could go many different ways with achieving that. Lots of different thread and opinions already in existence on the forum so have a look around. However, I put pond rocks on the bottom and mix anywhere from 50% to 60% organic soil with 40% play sand to achieve an effective draining system. Remember, this is how I do it and by no means want you to think that my way is the 'correct' or 'best' way: to each their own.
I'm setting up a new enclosure within the next month and will make sure to take pictures about how I do it.

EDIT: Saw you discussing this in a different thread, if you're going to end up going this way make sure to keep us updated! I love to see DIY in action.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what your budget is but for probably anywhere from 50 to 100 bucks you could build a box (any type of wood will work, plywood is cheap and will do the job) roughly the size of dimensions of the bottom section of your enclosure. Then, buy some pond liner and simply staple it to the box. Use a hole saw with any reasonable size diameter (I use 1 1/2 inches) and get a bulk head WITH an O ring to not allow water to escape. Obviously if you're going to have a drainage system make sure to buy a bucket. ;)
Now, when it comes to soil drainage you could go many different ways with achieving that. Lots of different thread and opinions already in existence on the forum so have a look around. However, I put pond rocks on the bottom and mix anywhere from 50% to 60% organic soil with 40% play sand to achieve an effective draining system. Remember, this is how I do it and by no means want you to think that my way is the 'correct' or 'best' way: to each their own.
I'm setting up a new enclosure within the next month and will make sure to take pictures about how I do it.

EDIT: Saw you discussing this in a different thread, if you're going to end up going this way make sure to keep us updated! I love to see DIY in action.
What kind of lighting should i be using for the plants? No jungle dawns

What kind of lighting should i be using for the plants? No jungle dawns

I'm sure several other members have referred you to Light Your Reptiles and I realize you're on a budget BUT if you could save up I'd suggest doing that. However, you could get a full spectrum for a couple of bucks online and just buy a linear fixture on amazon. The bulbs I have linked are sold individually and would work within a nice budget if you're looking to just get at least some sort of lighting for your plants.
Link: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/bulbs/full-spectrum/

I'm sure several other members have referred you to Light Your Reptiles and I realize you're on a budget BUT if you could save up I'd suggest doing that. However, you could get a full spectrum for a couple of bucks online and just buy a linear fixture on amazon. The bulbs I have linked are sold individually and would work within a nice budget if you're looking to just get at least some sort of lighting for your plants.
Link: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/bulbs/full-spectrum/
Can i use a cfl as my enclosure is small. I will be upgrading on a few months

Back
Top Bottom