Bsfl

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok just got some bsfl and not familiar with these. They are small so will they grow bigger with time? What is best to keep them in and do they need to be fed? I have had these before but they were Large and fed off right away so no care was needed but these are too small to feed off.

Ok just got some bsfl and not familiar with these. They are small so will they grow bigger with time? What is best to keep them in and do they need to be fed? I have had these before but they were Large and fed off right away so no care was needed but these are too small to feed off.
Bump

I just got some too! Looks like they are packed in some sort of soil... am I supposed to clean them off first? So confused? Is this food or will they turn into flies if o leave them in it too long???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 95
I just got some too! Looks like they are packed in some sort of soil... am I supposed to clean them off first? So confused? Is this food or will they turn into flies if o leave them in it too long???
So I get mine from joshes frogs and they come in soil. I give them a few pieces of banana each day and they lasted 2 to 3 weeks before they started to die, but I am now feeding this batch more and it's been 2 weeks now and I'm going to see how long they last with more food. They definitely get bigger quickly when fed more, mine have never lasted long enough to turn into flies but the batch I have now is a 250 count so I'm not sure if they will or not.

So I get mine from joshes frogs and they come in soil. I give them a few pieces of banana each day and they lasted 2 to 3 weeks before they started to die, but I am now feeding this batch more and it's been 2 weeks now and I'm going to see how long they last with more food. They definitely get bigger quickly when fed more, mine have never lasted long enough to turn into flies but the batch I have now is a 250 count so I'm not sure if they will or not.
Thanks!!! Is the soil safe to eat I mean do I have to be concerned if they have some soil dust on them when I feed him? Thanks

Thanks!!! Is the soil safe to eat I mean do I have to be concerned if they have some soil dust on them when I feed him? Thanks
No problem, I wouldnt worry about the soil, I just try to dust it off a little before feeding them off. Let me know if and when your larvae turn into flies, I would like to know lol. Also, make sure the air holes aren't too big because any little moisture in the container will cause them to climb slick surfaces and mine squeezed themselves through the holes...😳 yeah it wasnt fun.

Yeah I had them a long time ago and was horrified when I found out they climbed! So gross!i am not sure if mine will survive long enough to turn into flies but will try!!! I got mine from Lindas Gone Buggie!

Hi everyone...
BSFL do not have to be fed.
If your medium is stuck to them I would rub it off them prior to feeding.
When they start to pupate they will darken and harden to a black shell.
These then will hatch out as flies and are great feeders as well.
If BSFL are too small then they may come out the exact way they went in or even alive. This happens when the cham does not chew them. If you have this issue you can "pin" them just prior to feeding. And that is exactly how it sounds. Take a sewing pin and stab them. They do not die and keep moving but the hole allows them to break down through digestion if the cham eats them without chewing.

I move them into a clear container... screen on the top of the lid. This way I can see them as they start to pupate. And also see them if they have turned into flies. I then take them when they are hard and black and toss them into pots to hatch out or I put them in a small container in the bottom of my enclosure with a hole in the top so they can fly out.

Hi everyone...
BSFL do not have to be fed.
If your medium is stuck to them I would rub it off them prior to feeding.
When they start to pupate they will darken and harden to a black shell.
These then will hatch out as flies and are great feeders as well.
If BSFL are too small then they may come out the exact way they went in or even alive. This happens when the cham does not chew them. If you have this issue you can "pin" them just prior to feeding. And that is exactly how it sounds. Take a sewing pin and stab them. They do not die and keep moving but the hole allows them to break down through digestion if the cham eats them without chewing.

I move them into a clear container... screen on the top of the lid. This way I can see them as they start to pupate. And also see them if they have turned into flies. I then take them when they are hard and black and toss them into pots to hatch out or I put them in a small container in the bottom of my enclosure with a hole in the top so they can fly out.
Thank you!!! They are much more complicated than I expected!!! I have 500 so I will definitely have a bunch to test😂

Thank you!!! They are much more complicated than I expected!!! I have 500 so I will definitely have a bunch to test😂
Yeah if you are only feeding one cham they will for sure pupate and make a fun time for your cham to chase.
They do not need dusting prior to feeding as thier calcium level is high. I rinse mine off and dry on a paper towel before offering.
Good Luck😉

Check the FAQs at Symton. In FAQ, check out their whole site.
They started with just BSFL, and due to their success, have now expanded into many more feeders.

IMO, a class act.

Regarding substrate sticking to BSFL, you can just rinse it off with a sink sprayer just prior to serving (as noted, they can climb when wet).

Another reason why I cant wait for my baby to grow already 🙄 I want to feed him these flies but I think they are too big.😂
The body of the Black soldier fly is actually much smaller then you would expect :) They are thinner and aren't hard for them to chew up. The nice thing is that they are not a fast fly like the Blue bottle fly. So easier to catch if it escapes your enclosure.

If baby is at least 3 months I would not be concerned at all about feeding off the flies. Most will not respond to the larvae very easily but the flies they know what is what lol.

You can catch even a fast housefly or something by getting a spray bottle and spraying it with water. i tried it. The water made the fly confused i think so it didnt fly away and kinda slowed down. i got that info from a thread in like 2012

The body of the Black soldier fly is actually much smaller then you would expect :) They are thinner and aren't hard for them to chew up. The nice thing is that they are not a fast fly like the Blue bottle fly. So easier to catch if it escapes your enclosure.

If baby is at least 3 months I would not be concerned at all about feeding off the flies. Most will not respond to the larvae very easily but the flies they know what is what lol.
Lol thank you. He is supposed to be 4 months by next week but I think hes a slow grower unlike most chameleons I've seen 😂. I guess I'll find out if he can handle one when they pupate.

So are you just putting the banana pieces on top of the substrate? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom