BSFL Colony?

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
My little guy loves black soldier flies, so I was wondering if there is a way to make a colony for them. It is a pain to keep them in the little cups for the Phoenix Worms, and they are expensive too. Any advice is welcome!

They are pretty easy to raise. I raised them in a screen cage. The flies need some space because they initially mate on the fly. The adult flies don't have mouth parts so are easy to deal with: just spray some water in the cage everyday. For the larvae I used a shoebox sized tub. The larvae will eat just about anything, I gut loaded them with fruits and vegetables, which they turn into a sloppy soup. Amazingly, it doesn't stink at all. If you want to feed the larvae take some out of the soup and put them in a deli cup with bran in it, put the top on. In a couple of hours the larvae will be dry so the chameleon's tongue will stick to them. At warm temperatures they grow fast.

Thank you. I've been researching this to have a steady supply. Shipping kills me when I'm only ordering enough for two young chams.
It just sucks if you want to buy 200 crickets to round of your colony, but you have to pay $30 for shipping. BSFL's are worse though, not as much shipping, but they are expensive.

It just sucks if you want to buy 200 crickets to round of your colony, but you have to pay $30 for shipping. BSFL's are worse though, not as much shipping, but they are expensive.
Rainbowmealworms.com apparently guarantees live arrival with 2 day shipping this time of year as long as they are held at the post office. They have 200 for like $5 or something. Shipping was like $10 when I ordered a few th I get from them.

If you have a local owned pet shop they can order them for you pretty cheap. Ours sells 1000 for about $30. You have to pick them up the day they arrive.

Rainbowmealworms.com apparently guarantees live arrival with 2 day shipping this time of year as long as they are held at the post office. They have 200 for like $5 or something. Shipping was like $10 when I ordered a few th I get from them.

If you have a local owned pet shop they can order them for you pretty cheap. Ours sells 1000 for about $30. You have to pick them up the day they arrive.
I use rainbow mealworms for my crickets. Do they really have the 2 day shipping now? I just got some, and it required me to do 1 day shipping, so I guess that I will check that out.

They're $16 for 1000 plus $7 flat rate shipping from Dubiaroaches.com. They keep for a while when you stick them in the fridge. Since it's flat rate shipping, I buy a bunch of stuff when I place an order. It turns into an insect shopping spree. BSFL, supers, dubia chow, water cubes, I go wild. Lol

They're $16 for 1000 plus $7 flat rate shipping from Dubiaroaches.com. They keep for a while when you stick them in the fridge. Since it's flat rate shipping, I buy a bunch of stuff when I place an order. It turns into an insect shopping spree. BSFL, supers, dubia chow, water cubes, I go wild. Lol
I LOVE FLAT RATE SHIPPING!!!! I will definitely check them out, I didn't know that. Thanks!

You also earn Dubia Dollars on every purchase that can be redeemed later and last year they did an awesome Black Friday sale.

You also earn Dubia Dollars on every purchase that can be redeemed later and last year they did an awesome Black Friday sale.
Really? I'll sign up for that! I have to make an order today, I was going to do it yesterday, but I was too lazy :D, good thing I didn't order!

Back
Top Bottom