Bruise or?

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Preamble: I am caring for a small cham with bad MBD, but this thread is not about MBD. And, this is not my chameleon; a vet trip is therefore not an option. Please dont suggest a vet trip.

Purpose of thread: Recently he developed (seemingly overnight) a small dark spot, like a bruise. Interested in your feedback as to whether or not this is likely a bruise (probably as a result of handling or a fall) or if it may be indicative of something else. Its been there a couple days now. How long do bruises last?

see pictures:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachments/health-clinic/17113d1258338576-how-best-force-feed-dsc00005.jpg

https://www.chameleonforums.com/att...4d1258338587-how-best-force-feed-dsc00008.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering why a vet trip is not an option? I know that it would cost you, but couldnt you just get it from who ever owns the cham when you ggive the cham back? You know, probably more than I do, how fast chams go down once they are sick. I would go get it checked. Thats just me.

Just wondering why a vet trip is not an option? I know that it would cost you, but couldnt you just get it from who ever owns the cham when you ggive the cham back? You know, probably more than I do, how fast chams go down once they are sick. I would go get it checked. Thats just me.

I personally never hesitate to take a cham to the vet. This forum, as wonderful as it is, is no substitute for a qualified professional. However, as previously stated, this is not my animal. A vet trip is NOT AN OPTION.

Looking forward to helpful responses.....

Sandra,

in the first pic it doesn't look like a bruise. in the next one it does look like one.
if it's mostly like the second photo (a dark spot) then it is a bruise.

first off, my little Laurie arived to me with a bruise on her nose from shipping.
even before her first shed, less then a month after I had her, it was totaly gone.
let's just say it took about 2.5 -3 weeks to fully go away.

now my Splat is a clown. (or maybe a monkey)
he does crazy things and sometime will get a bruise on his legs or body.
they mostly look like a black scratch...I'll try to find a photo.
they go away in a few days or a week or two depending on how bad it is.

Harry

Sandra, It looks like a bruise, but because of its sudden appearance in that area I am thinking it might be something else. Does this cham have a history of dehydration to your knowledge? I have seen spot "bruising" similar to this in an animal that seemed to die from kidney failure from extreme dehydration. Perhaps a kidney/kidneys are slowly failing not from dehydration, but perhaps from excessive mineralization from lack of absorption from a lack of uvb lighting. Did the keeper supplement without the uvb lighting?

Thanks Warpdrive. Thanks Nicodemayo

...Does this cham have a history of dehydration to your knowledge? I have seen spot "bruising" similar to this in an animal that seemed to die from kidney failure from extreme dehydration. Perhaps a kidney/kidneys are slowly failing not from dehydration, but perhaps from excessive mineralization from lack of absorption from a lack of uvb lighting. Did the keeper supplement without the uvb lighting?

Dehydration previously is possible. I dont think so, but Due to poor muscle control, he may have had a hard time getting sufficient water. His urates are brite white since I've had him.
Previous Excessive supplementation is certainly possible. In my opinion, The owner used both too much preformed vitamin A (via gutload) and D3 (supplement). The owner did use UVB lighting. Indeed reported that the closed eye would only open if the UVB was turned off (a perfectly safe reptiglo tube, not CFL - even tried changing tubes). I've not seen this myself (also using reptiglo tube)

Anything that may spread to my other chameleons is a concern, as I didnt quaranteen this little guy. His tank (yes, a tank) is in the same room as all my others are housed. I didnt have space anywhere else. It wasnt a well thought out plan, but rather an unanticipated move because the owner asked me to help (the owner is a good person, doing well by all their other pets, just this one has had trouble) and the little guy pulled at my heart strings. He's actually got quite a little personality and Im now rather fond of him (but I am NOT keeping him).

ANYhow, no. Checked this morning and the mark appears the same to me. Neither bigger nor smaller nor any change in colour.

I'm going to increase his access to water as much as I can, incase the kidney idea is on (extra access to water never hurts anything). I'll keep watching the mark, and compare to the pictures to see if it changes. taking triple ultra extra hand washing percautions as well. Hopefully it will fade away....

Back
Top Bottom