Brown veiled chameleon

Not all chameleons drink from the droppers and yours is set up incorrectly. It should be above the cage and and adjusted to drip onto likely foliage he will encounter, at a slow but constant rate, which can be hard to achieve with the valves they supply. I MistKing is well worth the investment.
Handling is not something chameleons appreciate. Start with hand feeding the chameleon and getting the chameleon used to people being around and perhaps try to coax it out with a favored treat, onto a hand or arm, but sooner or later, those nails will be scratching through human skin and most veileds become and stay fairly intolerant of handling. Forced handling kills chameleons.
Oh wow!! that's not good !! ok. I'll adjust he dripper right away!! thank you

I also agree with the dripper. It's down too low. Mine just sits on the top corner of the cage frame (for support), and the hose runs across the top of the screen to the front corner, where it just drips through the screen, and hits a broad leafed plant. This makes the plant move, just a little, so it's attractive to him. And often, I seem him crawling up to a branch near where the droplet hangs on the screen and drinks from there. My guy also has a strange way of drinking. When I start misting, he will move so that he is face down on a branch, and as the water runs down his body and head, I see him licking his lips to drink. Very strange, but I guess, if he's getting water that way.....
Do you have a picture so I can see your setul?

I concur with the above. Bright colors are stress colors, Brown, olive drab green and variants of the shades are what Lucky stays most of the time unless I stress him out. Look for dull colors on a veiled to recognize calmness and a relaxed cham. My misting schedule consists of 5 min. sessions 3-4 times a day w/ Mist-king (seasonal) to provide adequate moisture. Look at the urates. If their yellow, increase mistings. If their snow white their ideal.
The urates? the sides of his body that are always lighter? see newbie.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - male 1 month old veiled
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? once a day.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • feeding crickets and super worms. 4 crickets at a time and 3 worms twice a day
  • Feeding crickets flukers orange cubes
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitaminproducts are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? reptiles calcium it without d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? little dripper- now on top of cage. misting 120 seconds 6 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?not sure that he's had reason to be tested. poo looks like mouse droppings. urine looks like white dropping
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? right now he's in a med zoo med screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?5.0 uvb 75w daylight blue 12 hours
  • Black night 75w 12 hours
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? daytime temp is between 74 and 77.8 with basking area at 83.2 I think lowest temp has been 60
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? 4 fake plants and 1 live plant. I think it's a rubber plant or coffee tree
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm located in blaine wa

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

#10Today at 1:06 PM

Urates are the white/yellow part of the poop, you shouldnt use a night light, it disturbs their sleep and stresses them out. You should be dusting your crickets with vitamins and calcium with d3 once a month. You shouldnt be handling everyday either, you should slowly introduce yourself, start by hand feeding him. You should also take out that pinecone, he may try to eat it, and add more foliage. Other than that it seems fine.

You need to gut load a lot better than you are. Use fresh fruits and veggies and preferably a healthy dry gutload. You also need to extend your feeder range. In my opinion there should be 4 available feeders on a regular basis, though I definitely prefer 6 and adding occasionally extras that you can get your hands on, I offer ten feeders, six on a regular basis and 4+ whenever I can. He also doesn't look a month old to me at all, he is at least 3 months, possibly 4. Are you postive he is actually a male? Just make sure. I also do not think any handling should be happening for two weeks at least. I also recommend after those two weeks, to start earning trust only by hand feeding and not by actual handling. This is why chameleons do not make good pets for most kids who are younger than 15. You should have a lot more foliage. Enough so he can get lost in it. And I don't recommend having any fake plants with a veiled, I recommend only chameleon-safe live plants, because he will eat them especially as he gets old. What is the temperature of the water you are misting with? I have realized my chameleons are much more likely to drink from misting if the water originally put in the hand mister is practically boiling, then when it comes out in a mist it is warm.

Do you have a picture so I can see your setul?
From above. You can see that the dripper is actually sitting on the frame. it's kind of balanced there, but I find that it's pretty secure.
IMG_20161208_114136.jpg

From below. You can see the droplet of water forming. Echo will often come to the vines and branches right underneath it and drink from the screen.
IMG_20161208_114152.jpg

And this is the plant that it drips down onto. I have just a small planter that I got cheap at the local garden store, and an ExoTerra mini mat across the top secured with a big rubber band. It's strong enough to hold the little plant. It also prevents crickets from spoiling the water by drowning in it, and also, just in case, my cham can't get into it and drown, either. Even though you can't see the drops, they do come down and hit the leaves. I believe this movement attracts him to drink. He sees the leaf move, and then sees the next droplet coming down. I also mist a couple of times a day.
IMG_20161208_114420.jpg

From above. You can see that the dripper is actually sitting on the frame. it's kind of balanced there, but I find that it's pretty secure.
View attachment 171479
From below. You can see the droplet of water forming. Echo will often come to the vines and branches right underneath it and drink from the screen.
View attachment 171480
And this is the plant that it drips down onto. I have just a small planter that I got cheap at the local garden store, and an ExoTerra mini mat across the top secured with a big rubber band. It's strong enough to hold the little plant. It also prevents crickets from spoiling the water by drowning in it, and also, just in case, my cham can't get into it and drown, either. Even though you can't see the drops, they do come down and hit the leaves. I believe this movement attracts him to drink. He sees the leaf move, and then sees the next droplet coming down. I also mist a couple of times a day.
View attachment 171481
Thank you so much!!! This helps tremendously !!!!
I try to keep the misting water pretty warm. Pirate seems to Ike a slight misty to himself . he closes his eyes and sits on his vine during misting. I also saw him drinking last night and oday

Thank you so much!!! This helps tremendously !!!!
I try to keep the misting water pretty warm. Pirate seems to Ike a slight misty to himself . he closes his eyes and sits on his vine during misting. I also saw him drinking last night and oday
Also he is shedding!!! Could that be the Eason he was brown? Preparing for shed? My python gets weird during his she'd as well. I have added more foliage so Pirate feels more comfortable , and have placed his water above some plants just as you suggested . I cannot thank you all enough for your help!!

You need to gut load a lot better than you are. Use fresh fruits and veggies and preferably a healthy dry gutload. You also need to extend your feeder range. In my opinion there should be 4 available feeders on a regular basis, though I definitely prefer 6 and adding occasionally extras that you can get your hands on, I offer ten feeders, six on a regular basis and 4+ whenever I can. He also doesn't look a month old to me at all, he is at least 3 months, possibly 4. Are you postive he is actually a male? Just make sure. I also do not think any handling should be happening for two weeks at least. I also recommend after those two weeks, to start earning trust only by hand feeding and not by actual handling. This is why chameleons do not make good pets for most kids who are younger than 15. You should have a lot more foliage. Enough so he can get lost in it. And I don't recommend having any fake plants with a veiled, I recommend only chameleon-safe live plants, because he will eat them especially as he gets old. What is the temperature of the water you are misting with? I have realized my chameleons are much more likely to drink from misting if the water originally put in the hand mister is practically boiling, then when it comes out in a mist it is warm.
Thank you!

How often do these guys shed? every month? every other? just so I can keep track of his signs and symptoms of a shed and not illness. you have all been so helpful !! thank you

Also he is shedding!!! Could that be the Eason he was brown? Preparing for shed? My python gets weird during his she'd as well. I have added more foliage so Pirate feels more comfortable , and have placed his water above some plants just as you suggested . I cannot thank you all enough for your help!!
Chameleons will get greyer shedding, kinda like when snakes are about to shed. When they are shedding up the humidity and mist them with warm water, it will help alot, they will sometimes shed for weeks.

It depends on how old your chameleon is, younger ones will shed sometimes every month, older ones will shed in parts and usually every few months.

Do you have an automatic mister or are you hand misting? If you are hand misting i would invest in a mistking.

Automatic misters look great but often wear out over time and cost hundreds of dollars to set up. Only reason I would ever go with an automatic sprayer is if my work or daily life schedule caused me to be out alot and I needed an extra hand. Other than that, go to a local home depot or Lowes and head over to the pesticide section and invest in an automatic sprayer. Cheap($10), durable, simple to use and by far easier than spraying by hand.

Attachments

• 20161211_233212.jpg
    20161211_233212.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 78
Automatic misters look great but often wear out over time and cost hundreds of dollars to set up. Only reason I would ever go with an automatic sprayer is if my work or daily life schedule caused me to be out alot and I needed an extra hand. Other than that, go to a local home depot or Lowes and head over to the pesticide section and invest in an automatic sprayer. Cheap($10), durable, simple to use and by far easier than spraying by hand.
Have you ever owned a mistking before? They last years, zoos even use them, you can run them dry, and they wont break. You probably used a Zoo med reptirain, lmao.

I agree, well made, high end misters, like mist king or the other ones made for zoos etc, are worth it in my opinion. Especially if you need to leave suddenly or have an emergency and can't mist. People to mist four times a day aren't easy to find at the drop of a dime. Also with high end misters you set a timer for specific times for individual misting sessions. I have two four minutes and two 2 minutes right now. It makes life amazingly easy. If everything is automated keeping chameleons is extremely easy compared to how everyone makes it sound. Even when they are sick or I take in a new rescue. The only think that I can't automate is food, which is easy because all my long stays become cup trained.

Back
Top Bottom